cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I turn off "You are screen sharing" preview?

Philipmac
Listener

See the attached image. How can I permanently turn this off? This never used to display for me, but now it shows by default whenever I screen share. It started happening within the last week or so. As a result, Zoom crashes 100% of the time when that little window is visible. I imagine because it's causing an infinite loop (displaying a preview within a preview of a preview of a preview, etc. of my screen share window)

I noticed this on version 5.12.2 (9281), Windows 11. When I checked for updates, I saw version 5.12.8 (10232) was available, so I updated to that, but it didn't solve my problem.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

ZoomTestKitchen
Community Champion | Customer

It's is a recently added feature to the Zoom client application as of November 7th.

It's natural behavior when starting a new share is to pop-up the small preview window, and if left alone this pop-up will automatically hide itself after a few seconds.

The one sharing can also click on the green "Share" area at the toolbar and click to display the Share Preview window again. This display will remain until the user clicks on it to Hide.

I have not found any supporting documentation or in-app methods that will permanently disable this feature. Here is the link to the existing documentation: 

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362153

Sometimes, it's worth submitting a support ticket asking them if this is a feature that can be turned-off by the support team. There are features that support this flexibility, just not sure if this is one of them.

If you find this information helpful, please click on "Accept as Solution".

If you have further questions, please reply, we're happy to help.

Jeff Widgren | Host of the Zoom Test Kitchen
@ZoomTestKitchen

View solution in original post

Philipmac
Listener

Update on this issue: I submitted a support ticket to Zoom and got this response (do a clean install using their CleanZoom utility). I tried it out but have not had an opportunity to try a screen share since then to see if it fixed my problem. For anyone else reaching this thread at a later point, ZoomTestKitchen had a nice summary of the feature above, but what actually solved my problem are the instructions from Zoom support below.

This is to inform you that this is as per Zoom design. We cannot disabled this.

Nevertheless, mind to uninstall the Zoom and install it again?

But this time, please uninstall using CleanZoom application

Please follow below step:
1. Download CleanZoom.zip here thru this link https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/article_attachments/360084068792/CleanZoom.zip 
2. Uninstall Zoom Client using above downloaded file (CleanZoom.zip)
3. After uninstall, restart your computer first and
4. Start with new installation from https://zoom.us/download

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

ZoomTestKitchen

It's is a recently added feature to the Zoom client application as of November 7th.

It's natural behavior when starting a new share is to pop-up the small preview window, and if left alone this pop-up will automatically hide itself after a few seconds.

The one sharing can also click on the green "Share" area at the toolbar and click to display the Share Preview window again. This display will remain until the user clicks on it to Hide.

I have not found any supporting documentation or in-app methods that will permanently disable this feature. Here is the link to the existing documentation: 

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362153

Sometimes, it's worth submitting a support ticket asking them if this is a feature that can be turned-off by the support team. There are features that support this flexibility, just not sure if this is one of them.

If you find this information helpful, please click on "Accept as Solution".

If you have further questions, please reply, we're happy to help.

Jeff Widgren | Host of the Zoom Test Kitchen
@ZoomTestKitchen

Thank you for the extra info. You confirmed my suspicions. I did notice that If I quickly collapse the preview, then all is fine, but most times, Zoom crashes before I have an opportunity to collapse the preview.

Yesterday when I was attempting to submit a support ticket, I couldn't find where to do that (they kind of bury it). After I did some digging this morning, I found where to submit a ticket, so I did just that. I'll update this topic if I find any additional info.

Jameswalter
Participant

Prevent participants from sharing their screen

Join a Meet video meeting.
At the bottom right, click Host controls .
From the side panel that opens, toggle Share their screen on or off.

Regards,
James

Thanks for the reply, but this wouldn't solve my problem. The issue occurs when I share my screen, not when others share their screen. Additionally, I don't want to prevent my participants from being able to share their screens.

LeoBernstein
Listener

This is an ABSOLUTE nightmare.  The engineers must be in charge of product at Zoom since this "enhancement" literally destroys value as its so CPU intensive that I can't actually do a Zoom any more from my laptop (2020).  Its nuts.  You keep adding useless features.  The interface literally has 1000 toggles but not for this preview enhancement.  Guys, you're better than this.  Get a better product team.  This is Product 101.

Agree entirely. It slows down the screen sharing and makes the whole presenting experience as clunky as using Teams. Terrible idea and pointless as the "preview" only shows what you're already sharing!!

Philipmac
Listener

Update on this issue: I submitted a support ticket to Zoom and got this response (do a clean install using their CleanZoom utility). I tried it out but have not had an opportunity to try a screen share since then to see if it fixed my problem. For anyone else reaching this thread at a later point, ZoomTestKitchen had a nice summary of the feature above, but what actually solved my problem are the instructions from Zoom support below.

This is to inform you that this is as per Zoom design. We cannot disabled this.

Nevertheless, mind to uninstall the Zoom and install it again?

But this time, please uninstall using CleanZoom application

Please follow below step:
1. Download CleanZoom.zip here thru this link https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/article_attachments/360084068792/CleanZoom.zip 
2. Uninstall Zoom Client using above downloaded file (CleanZoom.zip)
3. After uninstall, restart your computer first and
4. Start with new installation from https://zoom.us/download