cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HDR on Windows causes screen share to be washed out

rmbrown09
Listener

If I enable HDR in Windows 10 (now on Windows 11), when I share my screen the view is washed out for recipients. 
Simple issue, but it sucks not to be able to use HDR. I don't feel like switching all the time, and I screen share every day for work. Is this is a known issue? 

11 REPLIES 11

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hey, @rmbrown09 you can try to 'optimize for video clip' when sharing content. Also, within your Zoom desktop client settings under 'Share screen' click on 'Advanced' and check or uncheck, "Use Hardware acceleration to optimize video sharing", and see if that changes or makes a difference for your Screen sharing experience. Along with Checking or Unchecking, 'Use TCP Connection for screen sharing'. You can also try updating Zoom as well. 

Let me know if this helps! 

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hey @rmbrown09, checking in on my reply! Was any of the suggestions I had helpful?

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

This didn't seem to fix the problem on my end, end recipients reported that everything was too bright. 

rmbrown09
Listener

Let me give these tips a shot today and get back to you. Thank you 

bitflipp3r
Listener

Same issue here on Win10 HDR. Receivers report an image that is too bright. "Optimize for Video" and "Hardware Accelaration" is enabled. Have not tried TCP yet but I doubt that will change the image. Seems to be a general problem with Windows HDR though. Discord users report the same problem:https://www.reddit.com/r/discordapp/comments/kyrkvu/screen_share_with_hdr_brightness/. No fix yet.

beavis
Listener

Did you try installing the ICC color profile (color management) for your specific monitor? There are reports on various sites that HDR color management is broken in Windows 11. I have not confirmed this, but supposedly, it got fixed in January 2022 (KB5008353). As to whether Zoom can inherit the monitor's display profile, I do not know.

AMRS
Listener

I am having the same issue on the current release of Windows 10 as of 5/2022.

baronyants
Listener

Having same issue on Win 11 21H2. Makes screensharing feature almost useless cause colleagues can't see some content

mmilirud
Listener

Same repro. Screen sharing in Zoom just doesn't work w/HDR enabled on Windows. Dev team needs to repro and fix.

Marblefade23
Listener

I have this issue still. Running Windows 11, RTX 4090, fully updated drivers and OS. 
HDR + fullscreen window share = (some) people see washed-out content and it's tough to see. 
I took a screenshot of this apge with the snipping tool and left HDR on. It's the same effect when screensharing. 

-cGs-
Listener

Most messaging apps have had this exact same problem for years. I have experienced it on Teams, Discord, Zoom, and a few others. Any video coming through a call, whether it's a camera feed or a screen share, does not get properly converted from SDR to HDR for the user with the HDR monitor, or from HDR to SDR for the user's looking at content being shared by the user with the HDR monitor. I bet you it's an easy fix but sits too low on each dev team's priority list. I was thinking that maybe it's a Windows issue, but that seems strange since all other SDR video content being played through video streaming service apps and embedded web players is able to be displayed correctly on HDR monitors with HDR turned on. I wonder if the issue is as simple as all of the apps using some form of outdated open source compression algorithms, or colour conversion profiles?

TL:DR - the year is 2024 and this is unacceptable. Since a lot of Zoom users are paid users, Zoom needs to be the one that solves this annoying bug once and for all!