cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bluetooth Headphones not working as speaker or microphone in Windows 11

lmeke
Listener

I have a pair of Bluetooth headphones that I used with previous version of Zoom meetings and on Windows 10 with no problems, but I have been having a hard time getting them to function as the speaker and microphone in Zoom.

Pertinent System Information:

• Device: Microsoft Surface Pro 8
  • Zoom meetings version: 5.9.1 (newest available)

The headphones are recognized by Zoom meetings and are available in the drop-down menus in the Audio settings. I have also tried using the "Same as system" and "Bluetooth Headphones" options for both the speaker and microphone functions and have not been able to get them to operate correctly. The headphones do work fine with multiple other apps on my tablet, so  believe it is a Zoom meetings issue that is precluding my usage of the headphones.

I have tried the following things so far to try to get these to work:

• Updated Zoom meetings to the latest version for Windows 11 64-bit OS
  • Updated all Bluetooth drivers in Windows 11 to their latest versions from the manufacturers' websites
  • Uninstalled Zoom meetings, restarted the tablet, reinstalled the latest version of Zoom meetings, restarted the tablet, and tried again.
  • Removed the Bluetooth headphones from my Bluetooth paired list and reconnecting them to the tablet

I would really like to be able to use my headphones on Zoom to have a clearer microphone sound and also remove the background noise of multiple participants in case I am in a meeting where I am not talking but others are so I do not disturb others in my shared office. I have seen drivers available for download on the website, but I wasn't sure if they would help my current problem. Any help regarding this matter would be awesome. Thank you.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

lmeke
Listener

I figured out what was wrong. The Hands-Free Telephony setting for the earbuds was interfering with the audio and microphone of the earbuds. I used this guide and it worked for me: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fix-for-bluetooth-headphones-or-speaker-using/...

View solution in original post

YES! I had the same problem as you and it embarrassed me trying to get into a zoom meeting quietly. I tried all of the things you had- as well as the suggestion to check the volume mixer to make sure zoom wasn't muted. Followed the steps in this link and easy peasy it works with the audio test now! Note on windows 10 you cant get to it from the 'control panel' view of your devices, you have to actually get to the windows file printers and devices screen and then you can adjust your headphones' settings. Thanks again!!

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

jeng
Listener

May I ask which Bluetooth headphones you’re looking to use?

I have JBL/ Bluetooth headphones. I cannot hear the audio in a Zoom meeting. The how-to information does not apply. The online help says there are three dots in the right hand-corner in Zoom for Settings, but there are not. The Audio output in on but no sound coms through.

@HJ2 are you on a Windows or Mac? If Mac, I've noticed that I have my system settings are also set to route audio to your Bluetooth headphones. If I have my Mac audio (in the top menu bar and in picture) set to MacBook Speakers, my headphones will not work. 

Moreover, check in your output volume in your computer settings. Occasionally, it's something minor like that.

@HJ2 did you see @lmeke solution above?

Thanks for your response, Jeng.

When I join Zoom, I get a pop up message that says that I am connected to my computer's speakers. (MacBook Air).
The headphones are JBL< Bluetooth.
The Output on the cards are OK. The bluetooth connection is not on mute.
I do not have MacBook Pro, so there are no speaker options. The volume icon gives me the option to click on JBL and check that the sound  is on. It works fine for listening to music.
Thank you, Jeng.

Helen

lmeke
Listener

Hi jeng,

Thank you very much for your response! The headphones are the APEKX True Wireless Bluetooth 5.0 Sports Earbuds, IPX7: http://apekxtech.com/yibucategorypage/277698845?setprev=pc

On Amazon where I got them from, the listing says the Bluetooth is 5.1. These headphones have worked with Zoom meetings on Windows 10, but I have not been able to get them to work on Windows 11 with Zoom meetings on my new tablet. The tablet came with Windows 11 factory installed if that helps you at all. Thank you!

ManvithVanga
Listener

Do you see the little arrow mark on the microphone click it and you will see speaker and microphone click on the name of the headphones your using to connect them to the zoom meeting this should help

Hi ManvithVanga,

Thank you very much for your reply! I looked at your attached picture to verify, and yes, I have tried that and received the same results unfortunately. I am not sure of what else to do except for purchase a new set of headphones since it doesn't seem like others are having the same issue with other brands, but I'd rather not if I don't have to since they are so pricey on a student budget. Thank you for your help!

This problem had me for years .This Method Worked for me Lenovo QT82. thank you so much!

lmeke
Listener

I figured out what was wrong. The Hands-Free Telephony setting for the earbuds was interfering with the audio and microphone of the earbuds. I used this guide and it worked for me: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fix-for-bluetooth-headphones-or-speaker-using/...

Having the same issue and this didn't work for me.

YES! I had the same problem as you and it embarrassed me trying to get into a zoom meeting quietly. I tried all of the things you had- as well as the suggestion to check the volume mixer to make sure zoom wasn't muted. Followed the steps in this link and easy peasy it works with the audio test now! Note on windows 10 you cant get to it from the 'control panel' view of your devices, you have to actually get to the windows file printers and devices screen and then you can adjust your headphones' settings. Thanks again!!

The suggested solution also worked for me, but the device's properties menu is more difficult to find on Windows 11. I followed these steps:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fix-for-low-bluetooth-audio-quality-due-to-han...

karenatural
Listener

I have a mac - same problem.

cant get sound in or out with wire and wireless headset ONLY on zoom????

I have a mac also, and had the same problem.  Here's my solution:

When you open the app, click on the "zoom.us" tab at the top left and, then click on preferences.  Click on "Audio" in the left panel of the window that just opened up.  At the top of the window there is a "Speaker" section.  The first button is "Test Speaker."  If the button to the right of it says "Built-in Output (Internal Speakers), click on the drop-down arrow.  Select the other options, which is "Same as System."

JVV
Listener

Same issue, my bluetooth headphones (specifically the mic) gets disconnected after 2 - 3 minutes in zoom (using a windows 11-based computer. The same Bluetooth headphones work fine with any other software and other devices (even zoom on a Mac OS). Just having issues with zoom on windows.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers and reinstalling zoom, but the same problem persists. 

I got mine to work on Zoom: when you're in a Zoom meeting go to the Mute menu, see Find Speaker, and there will be an option to connect to your headphones.

Hope that works for you!

When I get disconnected, I change my mic to the system mic (on the mute menu), then wait for a few seconds, then switch back to the headphone mic. After a couple of minutes, I get the same error, then will have to do the same fix. There appears a red exclamation point on the mute menu so I know the mic gets disconnected, but the speakers are ok.

I am having discussions on the meet and this gets really frustrating, plus I have to repeat myself where I cut -off, takes a chunk of my time. My computer's built-in mic is not that clear as well, so I had to buy a headphone, but this connection issue is really stressing me out.

fcthese
Listener

I have this same issue on a mac M1, it's incredibly frustrating. Sometimes they work, others it doesn't at all or my headphones just disconnect mid-meeting. I've tried changing the settings via preferences > audio, as well as straight from the mute button on a meeting. When I select my headphones (sony wf-1000XM4) the audio just cuts out. Headphones work just fine with the laptop, so it's definitely a zoom issue.

What's really driving me crazy is that they work sometimes. So clearly there's a way to get this working properly. Sometimes though I can't exactly reboot my laptop if I'm mid meeting and need an easy fix that cane be done on the fly without having to drop out of the meeting/reboot everytime this happens. I'd be doing it multiple times a day if so.

Actually switched to Sony headphones (was previously using Jabra), thought it will resolve this issue with another device, same problem still. 😂 Airpods work better than the other 2 though (on a windows-based computer), speakers don't disconnect intermittently. I have been looking for solutions to this issue since the airpods don't have the same issue as the other 2, I believe there should be a workaround for this.

Rehakmha
Listener

Hello here. I've got new headphones REMAX RB-680HB (these are including microphone) and had a problem as follows:

Connected by Bluetooth was without any issue and listening to music (including all windows sounds) was without an issue. Problem occurred once I wanted to use headphones in meetings (Skype & Microsoft Teams). 

I was not able to hear other side and they also did not hear me. So, both, Audio and Recording (meaning microphone) were not working. Whole day spend by finding solution and finally I found your in here.

Just de-activate checkbox, so easy and all is running well!

Many may thanks for this share!

Which checkbox are you referring to?

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

@Rehakmha can you please elaborate what product you're using? You mentioned Skype & Microsoft Teams.. can you please clarify in this discussion the "checkbox" you're referring to in Zoom meetings? Thanks! 

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

This is not relevant as the article you linked is for supported USB devices - this thread is specifically about bluetooth issues.

Also, "buy a new headset" when a lot of people have already invested hundreds of dollars into high quality headsets isn't a solution. A software should be compatible with any headset, not the other way around.

Masy554
Listener

I looked for this on various websites including youtube and solved it using to enable playback device from sound settings.