cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prefix Speed Dial to Dial External Numbers

kelseyp409
Explorer
Explorer

We are a company that is moving each of our locations to Zoom phones, location by location. It will be an environment of locations still on the old PBX, and some on Zoom until all stores are migrated. The stores will need to be able to use a speed dial in order to quickly reach each location. Is there a way for a desk phone to be programed for a prefix speed dial? Example, the prefix could be something like *0 - and then whatever 3 digits are dialed next after that *0 speed dial is created would correlate to a number outside of Zoom - so if a user hit the *0 speed dial then dialed 100 it would translate to XXX-XXX-XXXX, if they hit *0 and dialed 101 it would translate to XXX-XXX-XXXY, and so forth.

We currently do this on our old platform, but i'm not sure if it's possible to do this with Zoom. If there is a different way to accomplish the same goal for desk phones, let me know. 

3 REPLIES 3

Vinnie
Community Champion | Customer

Hello Kelsey. Zoom Phone has a mechanism to define Routing Rules to override some of the default behavior when it comes to interpret the dialed digits.
I assume you will have a SIP Trunk connecting Zoom Phone with your legacy phone systems, but even if not, I think this will help; there is already an answer in this community that explains how to do it and where to look for it; you need to know a little bit of Regular Expressions (RegEx) but if you are familiar with how it is done on the PBX, I am sure you won't have any issues here.
https://community.zoom.com/t5/Phone-System/KB-for-Routing-Rules-and-Number-pattern/m-p/120522

Thanks for the your response. So if I'd like to create SIP trunk between legacy PBX/BCG that is supported? Will I need Zoom to enable another feature on my account for that? I was planning on routing through Zoom PSTN but eventually would like to create trunk if that is supported.

Vinnie

It should be supported in the BYOC modality, see Zoom's document showing the solution:

https://explore.zoom.us/docs/doc/Zoom%20Phone%20-%20Bring%20Your%20Own%20Carrier.pdf

The requirements are strict:  You need the SBC's Public IP Address with a valid FQDN with a valid Security Certificate (registered with Zoom approved Certificate Authorities) to be able to implement the SIP Trunk. Setting this up for a "short" time period might not be worth because of the costs and effort associated with it.
In any case, yo should ask you Zoom AM/SE about it.
If the volume of calls is not high so the PSTN cost won't be a burden, it is not worth it but it is up to you to consider the effort vs the benefits.