cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom meeting breakout rooms

ss927

Hi all. I need to host a zoom meeting that will have approx 300 participants that I need to assign evenly to 35 breakout rooms. Is this possible with zoom meetings? We only want around 7 people in each breakout room.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello  @ss927 

I have not personally tested this as I have not the numbers to test this with. The table is there as a guide, and the numbers I'm using follow the logic on the backend that I am aware of. You should not have any issues with the numbers of participants and rooms you are looking to create. The only way to fully assure your client is for you to test in your environment, but I do have confidence that with the numbers you are looking to have a meeting with there should not be any issues. If there are issues with the breakout room, you will need to contact Zoom Support to further troubleshoot, but I do not think you will run into issues with the numbers you have provided.

I hope this helps and please make sure to mark the solution as accepted if this information is what you needed.

Thank you,

Jake

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

jdott16
Zoom Employee
Zoom Employee

Hello @ss927 

This request should be easily possible through the breakout room functionality. You can find out more information concerning preassigning breakout rooms which may assist best in this scenario here: https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0061353

I also believe that if preassigning is not what you are looking for, you can check out more functionalities of the breakout rooms through this article: https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0062540

Thank you,
Jake

Thanks Jake. I have used breakout rooms in meetings many times, but am concerned about my number of participants and number of breakout rooms given that number of participants. I had trouble in the past where I had a meeting of around 400 people and tried to create 50 breakout rooms. While in the meeting it let me create the breakout rooms but when I went to open them nothing happened. We had to reduce the number of breakout rooms and at some number (I forget what number worked), it opened them. What specifically confuses me and I can't seem to get a definitive answer on is the relationship between the number of participants and the maximum number of breakout rooms allowed. They show a table in the support link you sent me (https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0062540) but it is not clear at all.

Hello   @ss927 

In testing, I can preassign 35 rooms, and If I have the users available to me (whether on my account, or external), I can manually add them or upload a CSV file and place 7 people in each of the 35 rooms. If I do not preassign, and I create the rooms when the meeting starts, I would recommend creating 35 rooms, then selecting the option to assign users automatically, which will evenly distribute users to rooms automatically. You can also perform this function manually if you are wanting to make specific groups.

If you assign automatically within a meeting (not preassign), the next page in the Zoom meeting allows you to click the gear icon for more settings where you can further customize the breakout rooms to your liking.

If you had 400 participants in a meeting, then the max amount of rooms you could make would be 30 per the documentation. Like our documentation states: “The maximum capacities listed require a Large Meeting add-on. If you do not have a Large Meeting add-on, the maximum number of participants ...

In your scenario, with 300 participants you should be able to create 35 rooms and assign participants evenly to the rooms. If this does not work, I would open a support case to see what else could be causing your issue.

I hope this helps.

Thank you,
Jake

Thanks Jake. So what you're saying is that we should be able to have up to 40 breakout rooms with 300 attendees? Has that been tested with that number of participants or are you just theoretically thinking that makes sense based on the table? If not tested is there a way to test it? I need to assure our client that this is possible. Why is there a gap in the table for 300 participants? The table says 20 breakout rooms for 500 participants, 30 breakout rooms for 400 participants and 50 breakout rooms for 200 participants. What about all the numbers in between?

Hello  @ss927 

I have not personally tested this as I have not the numbers to test this with. The table is there as a guide, and the numbers I'm using follow the logic on the backend that I am aware of. You should not have any issues with the numbers of participants and rooms you are looking to create. The only way to fully assure your client is for you to test in your environment, but I do have confidence that with the numbers you are looking to have a meeting with there should not be any issues. If there are issues with the breakout room, you will need to contact Zoom Support to further troubleshoot, but I do not think you will run into issues with the numbers you have provided.

I hope this helps and please make sure to mark the solution as accepted if this information is what you needed.

Thank you,

Jake