Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom crashes my camera following 6.0.x updates

mrw20191
Newcomer
Newcomer

Hello,

I am running the Zoom silicon client on a Macbook Pro M3 Pro. I use an Anker PowerConf 200. Since updating to 6.0.x, I get the spinning beach ball and then encounter an error when I join a meeting about 95% of the time that says my background isn't loading, and do I want to continue. If I open the meeting using my default laptop camera, I get the same error when I try to change to my external camera.

I then get an error in a window saying that my mic won't work and everything freezes. I have to leave the meeting and try again, which sometimes works but not always. Sometimes I have to reboot. Sometimes I can get away with restarting my finder and killing the Zoom client.

This *only* happens in Zoom. It does not happen in Teams. It does not happen in Google Meet. It does not happen in Facetime. 

However, once it happens in Zoom, I have to restart my entire system to use my camera again in another app.

Thanks for any insight

4 REPLIES 4

YaBoiB
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hello @mrw20191

Are you by chance using portrait lighting? We did have a bug in regards to portrait lighting and M3 chips, and I believe that it was resolved in version 6.0.10. If not, I can look into why your issue is happening, but I will need you to submit a technical support ticket and provide me with the number. It should start with TSXXXXXX. 

Thanks

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

@YaBoiB @The same thing happened today after double checking, updating, and ensuring Portrait Lighting is off.

whatever has happened, Zoom is the problem. I can have Teams meetings all day long with no issue, but if I fire up zoom my system flips out.

I have used that camera with zoom for 18 mos and it never happened before the Zoom upgrade. 

mrw20191
Newcomer
Newcomer

As part of my extensive troubleshooting efforts prior to this post, I actually disabled Portrait Mode but there was no change.

I will again check my Zoom version and camera firmware, but I've run all the updates in all the places to no avail. I had actually stopped the problem for about a day and then it came back with another software update.

YaBoiB

Hello @mrw20191

I have an M3 chip on my mac also and I am not having this issue, but I wanted to ask if you have tried to isolate and use your facetime camera rather than your external camera. Then you can try to isolate where the issue might be. We are going to email you and pull the crash logs from your machine. When a Zoom client crashes, it will write dmp logs to your zoom/logs folder in your library. If we send those logs to Engineering they can read them and find out exactly why your client is crashing. Would you be open to that? 

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?