Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZOOM fails to launch after an update --- again

fiz
Explorer
Explorer

Hello

MY windows 10 Home had v5.16 (or close to it --- you can view my one and only other post on this). I have avoided updating ZOOM because the last time it caused a great deal of problems. So, today I was going to use it for a work meeting and it forced me to update to the latest (6.16 I believe). Aft4er the download it fails to launch.

I launce zoom through a chrome browser. I have a shortcut with the correct link (have been using it for a year+). After this update I can't get it to launch. There is no ZOOM windows opening. Nothing at all happens. It isn't a firewall or antivirus issue because I've been using the same thing for 3+ years with no issue.

I have tried uninstalling (and using the cleaner app) and reinstalling previous version, which worked the last time this happened.

Is there any ideas, help, suggestions, magic, wishing upon the stars, to get this program to open as it should?

Please?

Thank you

8 REPLIES 8

andrewr1
Newcomer
Newcomer

I am having the same issue.

Hi andrewr1...

My fix for this is the same as what happened last time this happened. For me, the fix seems to be to find an older/previous version of zoom. Uninstall your current version, then download their cleaning tool, open and run it. It's a fast process. Then try to find a previous version and install it. IF you are successful.....IF.....when you install this software, it should give you a "success" message at the end. If not, it won't work, then you will have to try all over again.

NO idea why a piece of software can work and then not work between builds. It's utterly ridiculous, and it cost me a day's pay screwing around trying to get it to work. It does not seem like they have addressed this issue since the last time I had this problem, which was a year ago,....months ago. So, there ya go. Hope this fixes your issue, or at least helps in some way.

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer

See Zoom’s Quarterly Lifecycle Update which took effect August 3, 2024 – the minimum version is now 5.16.6 for Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS.

If you launch Zoom through a Chrome browser, search the Lifecycle Update article for “Chrome” to read about changes to Chrome support. 

Ray - Need Zoom Events/Sessions Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

Well then, they need to fix their software.

lizhang
Newcomer
Newcomer

I just download Zoom in my brand new Microsoft Windows 11, and installed it. Now it appears in my Start. However, when I click it, a popped-up window shows "PC APP store is up and running, click on the Start button". What does that mean? There is only "OK" button to click, then nothing happens. How can I open and use this app?

Ray_Harwood

Welcome to the Zoom Community, @lizhang.

How did you install Zoom? Sounds like you installed from PC APP store, whatever that is. 

I’d recommend de-installing whatever you insisted, and consulting this Zoom Support article for Installation instructions for Windows. 

Ray - Need Zoom Events/Sessions Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

Hello Ray, thank you so much for your quick response. I will, shortly, follow the article you recommended. Many thanks again! 

DRichardson721
Newcomer
Newcomer

I had this issue for several days and after searching, I found a thread

1. Uninstall the latest 64 bit ZOOM workplace 6.16
  2. Run Cleanzoom
  3. Download and install 32-bit Zoom workplace 6.16

I have done these steps and verified it works for me. I hope this works for you.