cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to turn on background noise suppression for EVERYONE in the meeting

aladmin
Newcomer
Newcomer

I run a meeting with 150+ users. I mute people whose mics are accidentally open. However, some people have background noise suppression off or some other non-default setting and when they speak or have their mic on it disrupts the meeting. As far as I can tell there's no way to override the client app's noise settings. Is there something of which I'm not aware? If not this is a feature request to add such a setting to the meeting settings.

1 REPLY 1

jrmagno
Zoom Employee
Zoom Employee

Currently, there is no way to directly override a participant's noise suppression settings in Zoom. Using the suggestions above can help manage audio disruptions more effectively. Submitting a feature request to Zoom would be the next best step to advocate for this functionality to be added in the future.

Suggestions for Managing Background Noise in Large Meetings

1. Educate Participants on Optimal Settings:

• Before the meeting, send a quick reminder to participants to ensure their "Suppress Background Noise" setting is on "Auto" or "High." You can provide a brief guide on how to adjust these settings:
      • Go to Settings > Audio > Suppress Background Noise in Zoom.
    • Encourage participants to turn on the "Original Sound for Musicians" setting only if needed, as it can reduce Zoom’s background noise suppression.
  2. Use Zoom’s Advanced Mute Features:

• As a host, use the "Mute All" option and uncheck “Allow participants to unmute themselves” when necessary. This prevents any unwanted background noise from those who may have less-than-ideal settings.
    • You can also make use of the "Ask All to Unmute" feature selectively to manage who speaks.
  3. Encourage the Use of Headsets and External Mics:

• Suggest that participants use headsets or high-quality external microphones with built-in noise cancellation, which generally provide better audio quality than built-in laptop microphones.
  4. Feature Request Submission to Zoom:

• Since there isn't a direct option to control or override participants' noise settings, consider submitting a feature request to Zoom. You can do this through the Zoom Feedback Form. Describe the use case where hosts of large meetings need more control over participants' audio environments to avoid disruptions.

cheers