cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Backgrounds not working on new laptop

llsparxll
Newcomer
Newcomer

Can some one explain to me why my old HP Stream 11 little laptop sat next to me is currently running Virtual Backgrounds and Blurring, with this spec:

Processor family

Intel® Celeron® processor

Processor

Intel® Celeron® N4020 (1.1 GHz base frequency, up to 2.8 GHz burst frequency, 4 MB L2 cache, 2 cores)

MEMORY

4 GB DDR4-2400 MHz RAM (onboard)

Memory Note: Transfer rates up to 2400 MT/s.

Internal Storage: 64 GB eMMC

But my new Asus Vivobook Go 14  with this spec:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i3-N305 Processor 1.8 GHz (6MB Cache, up to 3.8 GHz, 8 cores, 8 Threads)
Graphics: Intel® UHD Graphics
*Intel Iris Xᵉ Graphics is only available in models with Intel® Core™ i5/i7/i9 processors and dual-channel memory.
Memory: 8GB DDR4 on board - Max total system memory up to: 8GB
Storage: 256G UFS 2.1 512GB M.2 NV Me™ PCIe® 3.0 SSD

Now, all the tech guys keep saying it must be at least a gen 2  i5 is it?  well isn't that a bit strange given that I'm currently on a 12 person meeting on my HP Stream 11 using a custom background??  When are Zoom going to stop messing about and lower the bar so that people can actually use their platform properly.
2 REPLIES 2

ExpertswhoJohn
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Hi @llsparxll ,

Yes, there are rules on which machines are enabled for virtual backgrounds and green screen backgrounds. This is because lower-spec machines will not be able to run this feature as it does take significant processing.
This link should help, although it does not seem to have been updated recently

Requiring Virtual Background usage – Zoom Support

Please check your graphics card is active. You may lose graphics power on a battery to increase life but reduce performance. So try on mains power.

I this answers the question, please mark as resolved.

all the best

John

llsparxll
Newcomer
Newcomer

Hi John

No, you clearly have not read my question.  My OLD LOWER SPEC machine works with virtual backgrounds.  My original laptop is a lot lower spec to my new one, both were on external power.  Yet again, this community is answering questions with information that does not answer the original question and obviously to get help from Zoom properly, we all have to add to their piggy bank.  Microsoft Teams works perfectly, Backgrounds, everything but unfortunately the nationwide charity that I work for uses Zoom.  So no, I will not mark this as resolved because you have not answered the question and this is not a suitable solution. 

Now please find someone who is willing to contact a Zoom professional to look into this and get this sorted because what they are doing is damaging charity organisations, not just home users.

Thanks

llSparXll