cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble Shooting Video Lag--Is Google Chrome the Culprit?

VirtualSpeech
Newcomer
Newcomer

I'm at my wits end with a "choppy" video problem that mysteriously appeared after I moved a month ago--the only thing that I know changed was my Internet Service--we got high speed, with 800+ Mbps download speed. But, at times my download speed drops to in the 30s-70s, creating a very choppy video experience, whiich is not acceptable as I coach and give presentations on Zoom

I think the problem is Chrome, and wonder if there is a fix that would allow me to still use Chrome.

My techy husband and my IT professional son-in-law tried to troubleshoot (tried wired, wireless, changed the hub, removed one of my 3 monitors, tried with different browsers, with Outlook open/closed, watched performance on the task manager, etc.). At this point we suspect the culprit is Chrome. I removed all the extensions, except Dashlane, my password manager. Didn't help. When I don't use Chrome, and use Edge, so far the speed seems OK, but I'm bummed about not using Chrome.  I transferred my bookmarks to Edge (not organized like I had in Chrome, which is frustrating). 

Has anyone else had this problem (mostly likely something with Chrome  affecting the Zoom video), and do you have some suggestions?

5 REPLIES 5

RN
Community Moderator | Employee
Community Moderator | Employee

Hey @VirtualSpeech for the best experience I would suggest downloading the Zoom desktop client from https://zoom.us/download. If you're not able to the web client has limited features and functions best on Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Chromium Edge. See a detailed list of features available in the web client.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

Please see my note above.  For me, its the Desktop Client that is causing the problem for my PC.  I have submitted trouble ticket, with standard replies to uninstall, reinstall zoom client, run zoom clean, after I did EVERYTHING else to update drivers, windows, SFC /scannow, etc.

I asked for escalation, and since I did that, CRICKETS... no response.. 

Thoughts?

OMG, thought it was just me! How did this get resolved for you? I'm going to turn off zoom workplace and see what happens.

Flyfisherman
Explorer
Explorer

I have the same symptoms!.  900+MBPS Internet Connection wired and wireless that drops to 5-8MBPS AFTER starting Zoom Client on Windows11 Pro. 

Using Chrome and web client is ok.  but quality is horrible. 

Desktop app changes speed for just this PC.  When I QUIT the Zoom Desktop Client, my Bandwidth reverts to normal 900+.  Any solutions?  I think its the Desktop Client that triggers bandwidth throttling on Windows, but the physical connection remains at 1GBPS but 5-8MBPS speeds.

I always use the desktop client, so my problems are with using the desktop client and chrome at the same time