cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen sharing with overlapping window

jameswinter
Newcomer
Newcomer

When I share my browser window with colleagues on my external monitor, I like to open a note-taking app to take up part of the screen. This blocks part of the screen that I am sharing for my colleagues and a grey box hides the shared content. I understand that sharing my full screen would resolve the problem, but my notes are private and I only want to share my browser window. 

My other colleagues don't have this issue, so I believe it is a setting that I am not finding. Can someone help resolve this? 

I have tried using a different monitor, not using a monitor, using/not using a webcam, and some of the settings within Zoom. I have also restarted my computer a few times. 

4 REPLIES 4

jameswinter
Newcomer
Newcomer

I fixed the issue for myself - there's a setting inside Advanced Screen Sharing for screen capture mode. I tried all of them, and "Secure Share with Window Filtering" fixed my issue. I don't have permission to upload the screenshot, but the path is: Settings -> Share Screen -> Advanced -> Screen capture mode -> Secure Share with Window Filtering

Thank you for the idea, but this did not solve this problem for me. Are there any other reasons why the black boxes would appear to others who are viewing my screen when I'm screen sharing? This never used to happen until the past few weeks. I believe there was a Zoom update, and after that, it started happening.

FYI: There's a new Zoom software update that claims to fix this issue, but I installed the update, restarted my computer, and tested it, and the issue was not fixed for me. Any other ideas?

jmgcc
Newcomer
Newcomer

Hi James...after you hit the "Share screen" button at the bottom, then just choose to share a WINDOW, not a screen, and choose the preferred browser window from the list of options presented. Then, all your viewers will see is the selected window. Bonus: When you do it this way, you can even have the given (shared) window wherever you want on your screen, moved/resized/whatever (which conveniently can make room for you to have your notes on your screen as well, particularly helpful if you are on a small laptop without a second monitor), and the shared window still shows fullscreen to your guests (unless their personal settings on their machine prevent this).