cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live ASL interpreter recording + speaker view

KB101
Newcomer
Newcomer

I'm looking forward to testing out this sign language interpretation in a zoom meeting tomorrow. We will have two hired interpreters that will transition every 15 minutes. We've tested this out and it looks great live, but we also need a good recording for archival purposes. For the recording, I've enabled the sign language interpreter recording in my "Settings," however this seems to just trigger a separate video file of the ASL interpreter along with a separate speaker view video file. Is there no way to have a recording that has both speaker view + interpreter in the same video file when you download it from the cloud - or are separate video recordings our only option? I'm also curious if a "local" recording to someone's local machine will trigger a different view as a workaround to see that ASL interpreter.

Thank you in advance for any advice! 

12 REPLIES 12

colegs
Community Champion | Employee

@KB101 - I am sorry to say that I had never noticed this before, but it does appear that the Interpreter and Speaker recordings are separate.  I would encourage you enter a Feature Request for having the sign-language interpreter view overlaid on the speaker video since the 2 of them should be paired up to be most useful.

As for local recording, it will record what that specific participant is viewing.  While it is possible that someone viewing the interpreter would be able to get both the speaker and interpreter in the recording, I suspect it would also only get the speaker view since the the interpreter is on a different channel than the main session, and I can find no notes or references indicating that changes were implemented to include the additional channel in a local recording.

This is extremely helpful, and thank you so much for the quick reply. We will use spotlighting today so that we have the interpreter on the record, and I will definitely submit a feature request. Thanks again!

@colegs I'm having trouble submitting feedback. The "feedback to zoom" feature is enabled under my admin account but I can't find the question mark next to my profile picture to take me there. I apologize that I have a slightly different user name than when I submitted my first question. Zoom was not recognizing my username as I just created it last night, and would not let me sign in until I created a new username. The hyperlink that you provided also doesn't work for me. Thank you again for all your help!

Hello! 

I'm facing a similar issue of trying to use Zoom's new ASL interpreter function, which produces separate windows of the ASL interpreters and the main speakers/screen share screen. Has anyone found a way to produce a recording that syncs the ASL and main speaker/screenshare window? Or do we still need to revert to spotlighting ASL interpreters as regular panelists? 

colegs

@fireadapted I am not seeing any tools available, so I am afraid you will have to continue to spotlight the interpreters for recordings at this time.  But please do submit the feedback since it is more likely to be addressed if more people are requesting it.

Thank you for leaving this comment! I did submit feedback on this very topic - if others do as well like @colegs stated, maybe Zoom will find a solution for us.

colegs

@KB1011 and @fireadapted - 

I finally had time to test this, and here are my results:

1) Spotlighting is not working for cloud recording, whether interpreting or not.  

2) You can get the interpreter in Gallery view, but of course you also get all the other panalists/participants, whether they are actively speaking or not.

3) If you start sign-language interpretation and are recording the sign-language interpreter, viewing the recording in the Zoom Viewer (i.e. Directly in the Zoom Recording page) will give you a little interpreter icon.  If you click on this and select the sign-language that you are interested in, the sign-language will be synced with your recording in the upper right hand corner of the browser where you are viewing the recording.

colegs_0-1722633823503.png

colegs_1-1722633853256.png

4) If you spotlight the interpreter and whomever is speaking and record locally, you will see the correct recording (local recordings capture exactly what you are seeing in your Zoom window).

Thank you for this feedback! We used the sign language interpretation feature (rather than gallery) and had to splice the videos together outside of Zoom. Not ideal, but was a preferable experience for webinar attendees to have the ASL interpretation in a separate window during the webinar itself. Will submit feedback to Zoom on this!

colegs

If you use the Zoom viewer to watch the recordings, it does give you the option to automatically play the interpreter video in sync with the main video.  Would be great if it could be exported like that, but at least there is a "simple" answer if you need it...

@fireadapted Thank you so much for following up and for submitting feedback! I also thought of splicing the videos together after the fact, but our company just doesn't have the resources to do that and then turn around the recording quickly for our audience. I hope they can add this feature soon because having the separate window not only looks nice, but is really important for inclusivity.

@colegs Thank you so much for that follow-up. I think we will try this local record workaround for our next event. And fingers crossed that one day soon we'll be able to record the interpreter in the cloud!

colegs

@KB1011 - Are you looking on the Zoom Client?  It should be in the upper right corner of the client itself, not the web dashboard.

colegs_0-1721844276384.png