Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Join from desktop app without a browser redirect

Stryk
Newcomer
Newcomer

Hi everyone,

I have the desktop app installed and prefer to join meetings by app rather than browser.  Whenever I click a meeting URL to join meeting, the link first opens my browser before asking me if I would prefer to open the Zoom desktop app.

How do I bypass this browser step and have meeting links open directly using the app? Is there a way to configure this? If so, is it in Zoom settings, my browser preferences, or OS?

Thanks! I haven't found this answered anywhere, which I find surprising given how basic a question it is.

3 REPLIES 3

CarlaA

Hi @Stryk thank you for posting for the first time and welcome to the Zoom Community!

My first suggestion would be to download the latest version of the Zoom app, here: https://zoom.us/download. Then when you click on a meeting link, select this option in the pop-up window:

Screenshot 2023-08-22 at 2.04.21 PM.png

You should now be redirected to the app every time you click on a meeting link. 

Let me know if that helps!

Carla,
Zoom Community Team

Carla (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

Stryk
Newcomer
Newcomer

Hi @CarlaA thanks so much for your reply and suggestion. I followed your instructions, and while it didn't seem to work, it helps to shed light on the situation.

I updated my Zoom desktop app to the latest version (v5.15.10). I also run macOS (v13.4.1), Safari browser (v16.5.2), in case Safari is the issue. I'm also currently on Zoom Basic.

When I launch a Zoom meeting from a URL link, the link first opens my browser and offers a different popup window without this key checkbox to default to the desktop app. (see screenshot). 

So, I suspect the problem could be either my browser or something about the meeting URL domain or subdomain (in my case, us02web.zoom.us rather than success.zoom.us). 

Any thoughts on where to go from here? Thank you in advance!

Stryk

Hi @Stryk 

Thanks for getting back to me! Can you try using Google Chrome or Firefox to open the link? I believe with Safari you will always have to click allow to get redirected to the app. So sorry about that!

Carla,
Zoom Community Team

Carla (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?