cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with v6.1.6 (1013) on Ubuntu 24.04 LTS

intchanter
Explorer
Explorer

I updated to 6.1.6 last night as required to join a meeting, and have noticed several issues so far:

1. Others' cameras sometimes do not show video in the Gallery view, but it shows up in the second window that's set to see the speaker.

2. Some participants can't see my screen share.

3. The window decoration that would allow me to move the main Zoom window around are missing. I've managed to work around this by resizing it to about 2x its normal width to get a couple of small patches above and below the "Search Ctrl-F" text field that can drag it around, but it shouldn't have to take up so much space just so I can put it somewhere it won't be buried under other windows.

4. The option "Use system title bar and borders" can be checked, but has no effect and doesn't remember that it was checked.

5. The new tabs feature is interesting and could be cool, but it's super subtle and not very discoverable for a user seeing it for the first time. Toggling between "Gallery View" and "Speaker View" appeared to do nothing because a participant was sharing, and it wasn't clear that I was on a tab that was specific to their sharing.

6. The video on the participant share tab froze, but the second screen continued showing live updates.

7. On the participant share tab, I couldn't use the button to scroll to see other participants. The button on the right side showed it was present and displayed as if it were active, but the caption was "0/0".

8. The main window's minimum height is almost twice what it needs to be for all four of the super-large buttons to be visible.

9. I had hoped that maybe some of the features that have been added for other operating systems might finally show up (video backgrounds, avatars, ...), but no such luck still.

10. At minimum width, the main window doesn't show the user profile icon, making it very difficult (or removing the ability?) to access that menu.

That's what I've noticed so far over the course of two meetings (60-90m and 20m).

5 REPLIES 5

intchanter
Explorer
Explorer

11. The "Use Two Screens" option appears to be more flaky now as well. The past few meetings I've been on, the second window didn't appear.

12. Audio shared by others is only played when I'm on the tab/chicklet where they're sharing, so if the meeting has been people talking and I'm on the Meeting tab and they shift to showing a video or sharing an audio clip, it seems as if the meeting audio has dropped.

13. The "report problem" form takes a date and time for when the problem happened, but doesn't say what time zone it's going to be interpreted as or provide any way to specify a time zone.

14. The "report problem" form's main text field has a limit, but the characters remaining is covered by the scrollbar while typing, so I didn't realize there was a limit until my typing stopped having any effect and I went looking for any indication of what the limit might be, eventually finding it hidden by the scrollbar.

I'm a super light user of Zoom, but I'll continue adding on here as I find more issues.

DramaMask
Newcomer
Newcomer

My main problem with zoom 6 on Ubuntu is freezing of the UI. This happens during meetings. Audio will still work but the UI itself becomes unresponsive. All incoming video freezes. My camera freezes as well (for others to see). The freeze mostly happens when someone starts sharing their screen. It also sometimes happens at random. I'm usually on Zoom a couple of hours a day. Freezes happen once or twice a day for me.

Another problem is resizing of the Zoom window. When I mouse over the window edge or corners I won't let me resize. I can see the resize mouse pointer, but only for a fraction of a second. When I move the mouse one pixel the resize mouse pointer will appear and right away disappear. It takes me sometimes more than 10 tries to resize the window. This is very frustrating. I do resize a couple of times a day. I usually resize when people start screen sharing, so I can see their screen a little bigger. So, if Zoom doesn't crash at the start of a screen share then I run into this issues 😞 

intchanter
Explorer
Explorer

I've also seen increased crashes. They were a big problem for me on Zoom 5, but they seem to be redoubled in Zoom 6. I had a few last night during a single meeting, one of which was while trying to resize the second window.

intchanter
Explorer
Explorer

Nothing in the release notes (https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0068973) for 6.1.10 (1014) looks like it addresses these issues. I've installed the latest from the 5.x line (https://zoom.us/client/5.17.11.3835/zoom_amd64.deb) for now, and hope that the 45-ish days until I'll be forced to upgrade again may be enough to get some of these issues fixed.

intchanter
Explorer
Explorer

One of the meetings I needed to be on tonight required a newer version again, so I reluctantly upgraded after checking the release notes for 6.1.11, which just said "minor bug fixes". I haven't done much testing yet, because I've only had the one meeting, but it does look like the option to use the native window decorations/controls works now, after a fashion. In testing it, I did find that turning the option off while in a meeting caused Zoom to freeze and crash.