cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP - Camera won't work on Lenovo Laptop

NeilWNYC
Newcomer
Newcomer

Have tried everything - camera will not connect - gray screen with camera and line through it - can anybody help . . . ?

5 REPLIES 5

Frank_TB
Community Champion | Customer

Hello,

Try this. Find the button on your keyboard that shows a camera with a strike through it, usually the F8 key. Tap this button and you should be able to use your camera again. Scroll down until you see Camera Privacy Mode and make sure it is Off

Regards

If my reply helped, don't forget to click the accept as solution button!

NatalieDL
Newcomer
Newcomer

THANK YOU Frank_TB! I have battled this same issue for the last 3 days, only to find your solution here. I feel so foolish now, knowing it was something so simple. Yet I never used that F-key... Thanks again! 

Frank_TB

Happy to help!

Regards

If my reply helped, don't forget to click the accept as solution button!

willjoe2442
Explorer
Explorer

My Lenovo camera isn't working
Open the Lenovo Vantage application on your computer (you might have to install it)
Select Hardware settings.
Select Audio/Visual.
Scroll down until you see Camera Privacy Mode and make sure it is Off.
You should be able to use the camera now

Regards,

Diana

sunnyjack
Newcomer
Newcomer

If you're facing issues with your Lenovo laptop's camera. Camera problems can be caused by various factors, but we can go through some troubleshooting steps to try and resolve the issue. Here are some common solutions you can try:

1. Check camera privacy settings: Many laptops have built-in privacy settings that allow you to disable the camera. Ensure that the camera is enabled in your privacy settings. To do this:

• For Windows: Go to "Settings" > "Privacy" > "Camera" and make sure the "Allow apps to access your camera" option is turned on.
    • For macOS: Go to "System Preferences" > "Security & Privacy" > "Privacy" > "Camera" and make sure the camera access is allowed.
  2. Update drivers: Outdated camera drivers can cause issues. Visit Lenovo's official website, enter your laptop's model number, and download the latest camera drivers for your operating system. Install the drivers and restart your laptop.

3. Check camera app permissions: If you're using a specific camera app (e.g., Skype, Zoom, or other video conferencing software), make sure the app has permission to access the camera. You can usually manage app permissions in the settings of your operating system.

4. Check antivirus/firewall settings: Sometimes, security software can interfere with the camera's functionality. Temporarily disable your antivirus or firewall to see if it resolves the problem.

5. Check for conflicting applications: Some applications may use the camera in the background, preventing other apps from accessing it. Close all unnecessary applications and try running the camera again.

6. Restart the laptop: Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve software glitches that may be causing the camera issue.

7. Run Windows/Mac built-in troubleshooter: Both Windows and macOS have built-in troubleshooters that can help identify and resolve common hardware and software issues. Use these tools to check if they can detect and fix the problem.

8. Check physical hardware: If the camera still doesn't work, there might be a hardware issue. Check if the camera lens is blocked or covered. Additionally, try connecting an external USB camera to see if it works; this will help determine if the problem is with the built-in camera or something else.

9. Update your operating system: Make sure your laptop is running the latest operating system updates, as they often include bug fixes and improvements that could address the camera issue.

If none of the above solutions work, it's possible that there's a more significant hardware issue with your laptop's camera. In that case, I recommend reaching out to Lenovo's customer support or taking your laptop to an authorized service center for further diagnosis and repair.