cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capturing ASL Interpreters in a Recording of a Webinar

gretchen_shaw
Newcomer
Newcomer

Hi, my organization hosts monthly webinar sessions and provides ASL interpretation for each.

For years, we've been adding the ASL interpreters as panelists and pinning their videos during the presentation so that the ASL interpretation is captured in the recording.

With the recent changes Zoom has made to the ASL feature, this does not seem to be working any longer and I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this issue.

The information I have found via Zoom regarding activating and using the new ASL interpretation feature seems complicated and confusing to manage during the session (for the facilitator, interpreters and the people needed interpretation), and I have not been able to find any information about how to set up the ASL interpreters so that the ASL interpretation is captured in the recording of a webinar.

Are other people running into this issue? If you are offering ASL interpretation for webinars, how are you recording that ASL interpretation?

I welcome insight and input.

Thank you!

8 REPLIES 8

colegs
Community Champion | Employee

@gretchen_shaw - Are you saying that it used to capture the ASL Interpreter from a second interpreter window in the recording, or you used to spotlight the interpreter in the main Webinar window and that is no longer working for the recording?  I am aware of meetings having to spotlight the interpreter to get it to record since the interpreter window is recorded separately, but I have not heard about that function breaking due to any recent updates.  Before I go and validate, though, I wanted to make sure I understood the issue.

Thank you and my issue is the latter within the main webinar window. I have always added the ASL interpreters as panelists rather than through the new Interpretation option because I have always been able to capture the ASL interpretation that way within the recording. I need the ASL interpretation to be housed WITHIN the same recording (within the main webinar window), not as a separate recording. I was spotlighting the ASL interpreters and the speakers this way so anyone watching the recording would be able to see both the speaker and the ASL interpreters AND the PowerPoint presentation within the one recording, but this way no longer seems to work. I also always record to a local computer as I found out the hard way that the ASL interpretation does not show up in Cloud recordings.

Thank you for your help.

colegs

Thanks @gretchen_shaw, I will try to duplicate on my system.  In the meantime, please submit a support ticket since I think this is related to the other issues that I had mentioned around meeting recordings with ASL interpreters, and the more people we get to register the issue, the more visibility it will get to be fixed.

colegs

@gretchen_shaw - I finally had time to test this, and here are my results:

1) Spotlighting is definitely not working for cloud recording, whether interpreting or not.  

2) You can get the interpreter in Gallery view, but of course you also get all the other panalists, whether they are actively speaking or not.

3) If you start sign-language interpretation and are recording the sign-language interpreter, viewing the recording in the Zoom Viewer (i.e. Directly in the Zoom Recording page) will give you a little interpreter icon.  If you click on this and select the sign-language that you are interested in, the sign-language will be synced with your recording in the upper right hand corner of the browser where you are viewing the recording.

colegs_0-1722633823503.png

colegs_1-1722633853256.png

4) If you spotlight the interpreter and whomever is speaking and record locally, you will see the correct recording (local recordings capture exactly what you are seeing in your Zoom window).

Hello, thank you for looking into this.

We held a session last week with a speaker, ASL Interpreters, and a PowerPoint. We were able to spotlight the Speaker and the ASL Interpreters, but the recording did not capture the PowerPoint. You can see the recording here: https://youtu.be/sczvrN9c0s0

Before Zoom made the changes, we used to be able to spotlight the speakers, the ASL interpreters AND capture the PowerPoint all within the same recording (recorded on a local computer), which is what we want. See this example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txEFU3ysN3A

I don't understand why we cant' do this anymore. Providing a totally separate window/recording for ASL interpretation does not work for us.

How do we go back to doing it the way we want, the original way?

Thank you,

Gretchen Shaw

colegs

@gretchen_shaw - A support ticket has been raised for this (although you or your admins are welcome to add another).  Apparently something changed in a recent release, and it will need to be fixed.  In the meantime, the only option for capturing screen shares and multiple spotlighted presenters is to record it locally.

gretchen_shaw
Newcomer
Newcomer

Thank you. Is there a link you can share so I can submit a support ticket?

colegs

In your Zoom client in the upper right corner, you should see a question mark in a circle.  If you are an owner or admin on your account, you can click on it.  Otherwise, you would need the owner or and admin to click on it and select 'Zoom Support'

colegs_0-1722439952948.png