cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Music for fitness class

Jenniferjade
Listener

Hello,

I teach a fitness class and have been using I tunes through my laptop. The music quality is ok but it’s hard to control the music through the laptop as I’m teaching. If I want to change a song I have to go back to the pc and scroll and share again,Is there anyway I can use and external speaker that doesn’t have a delay? 
I think I’m the only one using ITunes anymore lol.

Thanks 😊

4 REPLIES 4

Bort
Community Champion | Zoom Employee
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Are you sharing your computer sound through sharing? This will provide the best quality audio for your meeting participants. 

If you were to play the music on another speaker and just rely on the mic to pic up the audio, it will be far worse quality, lower volume, and often will be suppressed, as the system will think it is background nose. 

timstringer
Attendee

I share my computer audio when teaching yoga/meditation classes. The volume of the music that's heard by participants can be tricky to get right, especially if you're speaking while music is playing in the background. I recommend doing a test call with someone and experimenting with volume settings. Once you find a volume that works, make a note of both the system and iTunes (Music) volume levels and replicate these levels for your classes.

It's also important to use headphones. If you play music through your computer's speaker it will get picked up by the mic.

To add to what @Bort  wrote, you can share your computer's audio by choosing Share Screen > Advanced > Computer Audio. The computer Audio Contains an audio quality setting (Mono or Stereo High-Fidelity) that's easy to miss.

There are other ways to accomplish this that involve using Zoom's High-Fidelity audio and an audio mixer. This can produce excellent results but increases the cost and complexity of the setup.

I hope this helps!

JCtwin2
Listener

@timstringer Can you send a screenshot of the Zoom settings to use with an audio mixer? We are having issues with a mixer set up that worked seamlessly with "Original Sound" but now has major audio quality issues with the new "Original Sound For Musicians". The fitness headset's audio used to be clear but is now muffled sounding.  We have played with the various settings but haven't found one that allows an instructors voice to pipe in clearly over the music (bummer since the "Original Sound" worked great).  Help!

@JCtwin2 – I recommend using "Original sound for musicians" combined with the "High-fidelity music mode" (with a wired/Ethernet connection to the Internet) and "Stereo audio". You'll likely want to have "Echo cancellation turned off", but can experiment with this setting. If this isn't working as expected, it could be an issue with the output level of your mixer. If you haven't already, I recommend checking the Test Mic feature in Audio Settings to make sure your audio isn't clipping. I hope this helps point you in the right direction.