cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thumbs up emoji

Aud
Listener

Hi 

A thumbs up emoji has appeared on my screen twice under Zoom meetings without any of the participants touching their keyboards. Does anyone know if this means we have been hacked?

Thanks.

22 REPLIES 22

andrew2
Listener

On ipads the tablet can notice gestures and then convert it to a raise hand or a thumbs up. I don't have an ipad to find exactly what it says, anyway click Zoom - Settings - Meetings and then the last two options, and turn them both off.  I think a shadow or movement will trigger the recognition thing.

Thank you so much, but we have been using laptops. Can the same happen on laptops? It seems unlikely. 

andrew2
Listener

not sure. 

RajanB
Participant | Zoom Employee
Participant | Zoom Employee

Aud

Gesture recognition is only available in iPad. I would suggest raising a support ticket to investigate further. Please provide Meeting details (MeetingID, time/date etc).

Love2Teachyou
Listener

Hi,    The same thing keeps happening in a few of my meetings.  I am running the latest version of Zoom and have enabled authentication for users.  My clients are usually doing pushups or chest presses so there's no way they can press the thumbs up.  How is this happening? I am using a MacBook Pro, some of them use iPads.  I have not found anything further in the community so I was wondering if it got investigated.  

Do I need to delete the meeting and create a new one?

Did you ever get an answer to this problem?  It keeps happening to me too! 

Unfortunately, no!

I have also now seen the hand raised emoji.  We tried force cuing and gesturing but we can't make it happen on demand.

It is a little unnerving but I am not worried about it.  I would still like to know how to stop it if there is a way.

It continues to happen on the iPad users side, never on my side.

hello, same boat here...I am a trainer and have the same problem. Were you able to resolve it?

andrew2
Listener

These are the instructions from Zoom on enabling the gesture recognition on an ipad during a meeting - I'm guessing do the opposite and it should switch it off.  The setting is also avaliable under Zoom App = Settings = Meetings and the last option.

Hope that helps

Enabling gesture recognition

When in a meeting and you would like to enable the Zoom mobile app to recognize gestures:

1. Tap the More 

button.
  2. Tap Meeting Settings 

3. Under the Gestures section, tap the slider next to Raise Hand and/or Thumbs Up to enable gesture recognition in the meeting.

super!  Will advise all iPad users.  thanks, Andrew2

jennkd
Listener

Hi all I'm using a desktop Mac and since I updated Zoom a few weeks ago I am getting the buffering thumbs up regularly...and when it completes buffering, the thumbs up is showing up on my screen and so my clients see it during a therapy session. Kind of a problem. I uninstalled and reinstalled Zoom and same thing is happening. Advice? 

Thanks!

Did you receive a reply? The same thing happened on a call I had this morning. I am using  a MacBook Pro. 

Love2Teachyou
Listener

Hi Jennkd, it still happens to my clients using iPads but I think it's because they never changed their settings.  It still never comes from my laptop, just from their iPads.  Still a bother, but less of one now and we just laugh at it.    We can never force it - it is always random and unintended.  Sorry I can't help more!

Katmd
Listener

Same thing is happening to me and I thought the same.. a hack?! What to do? 

I understand everyone's frustration, but I rather think they are funny since I do fitness training online and my clients smile when they appear.  However, I can see the unprofessionalism for therapy sessions.  

TRY THIS:   <Settings>,  <GENERAL>, Scroll down to Reactions, UNCHECK THE BOX FOR  "Animate these emojis" and UNCHECK "Activate ... based on hand gesture recognition.

occhiblue76
Listener

I use my phone and my clients use phone, -Ipads and PCs and it still happens and we both see it...sometimes it is thumbs up, sometime celebration balloons...very odd and frustrating

Love2Teachyou
Listener

I also just read that this is Apple feature with predictive gestures and automated reactions.  I am re-posting her link here for more information.       I did not create the original post with this link, I found it was already here.

by

by Frank TB

Community Champion | Customer

Read this:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT212950 

Love2Teachyou_0-1701213049301.png

Harrywli
Listener

It's not a Zoom issue. It's an Apple issue, on the macs, go to the link above mentioned in @Love2Teachyou post.

The mac is trying to recognize your hand gestures and automatically inserting them into the call, but then it freezes the camera on Zoom and you have turn your camera off and back on.  You can turn it off by clicking the Green menu bar camera icon and making sure Reactions is OFF.

Its a Zoom issue inasmuch as I am using and paying for they app for business use and they appear to have permitted without warning this idiotic consumer crap to invade my business meetings.

You're right!  Here is a screen shot for it.  

SUSANMARIE51
Listener

I have a MacBook Air and it happened to me.