cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poly vvx250 Phone provisioning

Cado
Listener

I am attempting to set up the Poly vvx 250 phones to Zoom. At first they said "DHCP failed", however I did a reset on the phones in order to fix this. The current problem I am facing is that the phones now state "provisioning failed". Please comment with any helpful links or tips! Thanks 🙂

2 REPLIES 2

Eliot
Community Champion | Zoom Partner
Community Champion | Zoom Partner

poly vvx 250 supports zero touch provisioning (ztp).

first, you need to add each phone with its unique mac address to your zoom phone system and assign the phone to a user.  behind the scenes, zoom lets poly know the phone has been assigned to zoom phone system.   

if these phones are new phones out of the box, the provisioning is automatic.  when you plug the phone into your network, the phone connects to poly.  poly tells the phone to get its provisioning info from zoom.  the zoom connects to zoom's provisioning server and downloads the provisioning information including telephone and or extension numbers to the phone.  the firmware version is checked and updated as necessary.  the phone may reboot a couple of times and then is ready to make and receive calls.  

since you have been attempting to set up these phones, please add the phones to zoom first.  do a hardware reset on each phone.  main menu->settings->advanced->(enter password 456)->administrative settings->reset to defaults->reset to factory.  when the phone reboots, it will connect to poly, then to zoom for provisioning.

please see the zoom support article.

Getting started with provisioning desk phones – Zoom Support

enielsen
Participant

Most people use Zero Touch Provisioning on phones after adding the phone to Zoom. This does require access to resources on the internet, so if your firewall blocks outbound traffic, you will have to open things up.

If your DHCP server is setting option 66, that could interfere with the Zero Touch Provisioning, or at least slow down the process. If need be, you can manually set the provisioning info on the phone via the phone web interface (or set that via DHCP). The provisioning info in the Zoom portal gives the steps for manually doing it on the phone.

In addition, looking at the diagnostics logs on the phone web interface can give you information on what is going wrong.

Oh - also must be at a firmware level close to what Zoom wants on the phone - often older firmware does not support current SSL protocols being used so provisioning fails. Once can update via the phone web portal to a version near the version zoom wants, and then during the zoom provisioning, it will downgrade the firmware to the version they want.

I'll note that at least some old polycom firmware versions require one to change the default password on the phone before enabling the web interface so cannnot do remotely - very annoying!