cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

two participants speaking at same time

interpreter
Listener

Hi all,

I just want to make sure that Zoom allows two participants to speak at the same time without automatically muting one of them based on whose speaking volume is louder or softer.  

In addition, and I know this will sound weird, but please hear me out (there is a good reason for this attempted workaround), would Zoom "allow" (not automatically mute)  the second simultaneously speaking "participant" to be the live audio of the first simultaneously speaking "participant" coming from the speaker of another adjacent computer? (Or is Zoom designed in such a way as to automatically mute or cancel out a second audio input that has exactly the same sound wave-form, pitch, etc. as another audio input?) 

(For anyone interested, the above workaround idea is in order to accomplish what is called "relay" in simultaneous language interpreting.)

Thanks all !

3 REPLIES 3

heatherarent
Listener

Yes zoom allows two participants to speak at the same time without automatically muting one of them based on whose speaking volume is louder or softer.

Hi, can you answer me how is it possible or how to do it? we tried to do it, while another participant is speaking and other  participant wants to play music, it seems like one of them is automatically muted.

stevejhons
Listener

No specific "reason" except that it just isn't practical. It's not just an issue on Meet, but also on other platforms I've used before such as Zoom. 

Even before technology, we were trained as children growing up that we shouldn't interrupt when someone else is talking. Muting and unmuting electronically is the equivalent of waiting your turn to speak in a normal conversation.