cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hiding self view but recording still showing me? never used to do that before

dancer1927
Listener

I have to record interviews and I always hide my self view and it works but since yesterday it is now recording me when I speak in the interviews, which I dont want, why is it doing that, and how do I make it stop?

4 REPLIES 4

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer

Hi, @dancer1927,

This behavior is not new. Hide Self View only stops showing you your own video.  

If your camera is on, even with Hide Self View enabled, it will still be shown on other participant’s screens, and included in recordings. 

Turn off your camera by clicking Stop Video if you do not want to appear anywhere – such as other participant’s screens and recordings. 

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

I do interviews for my job and all my interviews I hide my self and record and they never show me but I need the people I am interviewing to see me , but yesterday  the recordings started showing me whenever I spoke, it has never done this in the past 2-3 years that I have been interviewing so something changed. 

carstenkrause
Listener

Actually, I recorded my podcast today and I also hide my self view. The camera light was showing on and my pod cast participant confirmed that they can see me fine. Needless to say I was surprised that it only recorded my audio for the whole podcast episode which I did not want. What could have gone wrong? I also for the first time opted to save the recording locally instead of on the cloud. Could that have had anything to do with it?

Ray_Harwood

Welcome to the Zoom Community, @carstenkrause .

Yes, the layouts between Cloud and Local recordings can be different.  Cloud setup is controlled by your settings on the Zoom Web Portal at https://zoom.us/profile/setting on the Recording tab.  Local setup is controlled by your Zoom Desktop app's Settings window in the Recordings tab there.

I recommend two things:

• Run a test/practice session and run with the settings you have.  Review the resulting video, make adjustments to the settings, and test again, until you can do it consistently.
  • Document everything: screen shot of the settings, and step-by-step how-to to start the recording.  Have that handy every time you're doing a podcast... don't rely on memory!  The pressure of guests, thinking about topics, etc., all can "attack your brain" at the oddest moment.  Crosscheck anything you've done "from memory".

I'd also recommend testing with the Local recording settings too... just as a backup.

Here are some resources for you to learn more about various recording settings and topics:

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !