cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

black boxes instead of participants' images

YudZoom
Listener

a problem on a desktop computer:

when we enter a zoom meeting, we hear the sound, but every participant's box is a black box with no picture: no picture and no video, just black boxes with users' names/

I have tried to uninstall zoom and reinstall it, but this did not help.

the windows version on this particular computer is XP.

other computers here work fine, with no zoom problems

this applies to ALL zoom meetings on this computer

thank you for your help

6 REPLIES 6

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer

Hi, @YudZoom,

There are situations where the Zoom client will not receive video from other participants.  One place to check is the View menu in the upper right corner.  If the Stop Incoming Video menu item is checked, you will not see any video; if it is checked, please uncheck it and let me know if that fixes the issue.

Ray_Harwood_0-1668295258073.png

If that doesn't fix the issue, would you provide some information about this computer?  What operating system, what type of CPU, whether on WiFi or Wired network, etc.  Also, is it a corporate-controlled computer, or someone's personal device?

With some additional information, we might be able to determine why no video is being displayed.

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

Hi Ray - I hope you can give me some advice because I have tried everything.  When I do a weekly zoom with an old friend, my face is a black box.   My camera is OK, zoom is up to date, I uninstalled, reinstalled, used the troubleshooter and the test online.   I had a remote technician look at everything - the camera, the app, the computer.  A test zoom with him that was fine.  BThe conclusion was that the problem was at her end - if it were, I would pass on your advice about her video settings.  However, she sees everyone else just fine in other zooms.   Any ideas?  

Ray_Harwood

Welcome to the Zoom Community, @ivy100.

Sounds like your remote tech has done much of what I would recommend.

It would help to know details like what type her device (laptop, desktop, tablet, etc.), what operating system (MacOS, Windows 10 or 11, Chrome, etc.), and which version of Zoom is installed.  Less important but also potential issues relate to type of connection: wired, wifi, direct cellular service. 

A screen shot from her device while viewing your "black box" would also be helpful.

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

thanks so much for your response.  I am using a Dell inspiron laptop, Windows 11, zoom version 5.14.8 (16313). I have a home internet connection through Xfinity broadband - wired with wifi. 

I had to wait until Thursday to try for a screenshot but now instead of a black box I see myself perfectly - the other person can hear me but has no picture - she has the black box, I don't anymore.  She says this only happens with me - not in zooms with anyone else.    

I have the exact same problem. Windows 10 laptop. USB camera and microphone. Regular Zoom call that been working all year that I host. Now in Gallery view all the participants are black boxes with their names. But no video. If I change to Speaker view, I see thumbnail videos, but the video from the current speaker is a black box with no video. Sound works fine. When I checked the menu to see if the "Stop Video" option was checked, that option isn't present in the menu.

MrWoolly_0-1690582728338.png

ivy100
Listener

Everyone in all zooms sees a black box with my name below it.  This isn't what I see- I see them, I see myself.  My camera is OK.  My settings seem to be.  I have tried everything.  Has anyone got any ideas

about where I can go for help?