cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom would like to access data from other apps - macOS 14 Sonoma

KennethP
Listener

After upgrading to macOS 14.0 (Sonoma) I now receive a privacy and security dialog at the end of each meeting: "zoom.us.app" would like to access data from other apps. 

There is no more detailed information regarding what data Zoom would like to access. 

Is this prompt localized to me, or are other users encountering it? Does anyone have more clarity on the sources and type of data Zoom is looking to access from other apps?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @KennethP @cnadig @gazgaz8 @mcirtain @TravellingDeon it seems our engineering teams were resolve this issue. It's suggested to Uninstall and reinstall the Zoom application updating Zoom to the latest version.

As of today 11/1/23, Zoom version 5.16.6 (24664).

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

View solution in original post

36 REPLIES 36

carldhalluin
Listener

Same here

carldhalluin
Listener

I debugged it. Seems like Zoom asks to access data from another app and Mac Sonoma is stricter and forbids this.
The path Zoom tried to access  was 

/Users/xxx/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Powerpoint/Data/Documents

Same message here, too!

In the zoom session when I wanted to share my powerpoint presentation, Zoom would only let me select sharing my Desktop, Whiteboard, iPhone/iPad via Airplay or iPhone/iPad via cable. Not showing me any application windows to share, at all. You can replicate this "feature" anytime by having a chat window or participants window open, when clicking share button. 

This time, I did not have those windows open, but could still not see the powerpoint presentation window to share it. When I stopped the presentation mode, only then all the other windows - including PP window - became visible. 

So, the interplay between MacOS version Sodoma ( 🙂 and the Zoom has changed. Now you can't have the PP in presentation mode for sharing. You can share the PP page and THEN start the presentation, which earlier was not possible. 

So this is a different problem to the one in this post. It might be worth creating your own, separate post for this.

I can confirm that the pop-up message about permissions went away for me, when Zoom was given FULL DISK ACCESS, by going to System Settings > Privacy & Security > Full Disk Access.

This worked for me too. Thank you! It was driving me nuts. 😄 

@TravellingDeon, what is the outcome of checking Full disk Access. I don't understand what this means. I just want Zoom to stop sending me that message. Thank you.

It stops the messages. Interestingly, I then revoked the Full Disk Access, and I don’t get the messages any more.

So, maybe, turning Full Disk Access on and then off, is a solution. 
I don’t get the messages at all, any more.

Folks, use the "reinstall zoom" solution mentioned in this thread, rather than give an application more privileges than it should have. It's an easy solution. Zoom allows you to uninstall from the dropdown menu. You can download the zoom client you need from Zoom.  And just like Zoom does whenever you sign out (if you use multi factor authentication), Zoom will request that you confirm yourself on one of your other Zoom logins. 

Don't do that under no circumstances! Doing this will give zoom access to all of your files - I hope this is not something you really want!

I agree. Letting apps "badger" you into reducing your info security isn't a good habit to get into.

The problem is that Zoom is asking for permissions without being clear "why" it needs them so the user can make good decisions. 

Venkat_A
Listener

Yes, seeing the same after the upgrade....

nd7318
Listener

Yes, I see same issue as well

TravellingDeon
Listener

I have the same issue - it only happens when a meeting ends, too. I have just given Zoom "Full Disk Access" (reluctantly...) to see if this resolves the issue. Will post back here with my findings!

I just finished a meeting, and did not get the message...

MichaelN
Listener

Same here. Please, fix it.

Frank_TB
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Hello,

"In macOS 14, Sonoma requires user consent before any application can access data in a data container from a different developer. This protection only applies to apps that are sandboxed, so any unsandboxed app is still wide open for data theft from other unsandboxed applications or processes. "

Source;  https://www.sentinelone.com/blog/macos-14-sonoma-toughening-up-macos-for-the-enterprise/ 

Regards

If my reply helped, don't forget to click the accept as solution button!

Thank you, but *why* is Zoom (repeatedly) asking to control other apps? This seems like bad behavior.

I agree completely. It is unnerving to be continually asked to give Zoom unspecified access to unspecified data. The Apple dialog evens warns me that this could compromise my privacy! Who do I trust more with my data, I wonder? The one telling me to just trust them with no context, or the one telling me to be skeptical of the request? Come on, Zoom, help me out here!

Same here... feels very intrusive to have that question asked each time.

At a minimum, if Zoom can explain as to *what* it is trying to access from another app and *why* it is required, what functionality (if any) is impacted if we deny access -  it would be helpful to decide if we grant the access or not. Considering that the OS is giving the warning message.

I have rejected this every time, and there has been no noticeable effect. It looks like Zoom is just asking because it wants the data for its own purposes, and not to provide me with any useful functionality.

Same. If zoom can't be bothered to give proper information as to what it needs and why, I'm not inclined to grant access to unspecified other apps.  Like you, I rejected the access request, and it has had no noticeable impact.  It's at the end of the call, after all.  The only thing I can think of is maybe it has trouble writing the chat log to my files now?  

Hi @Frank_TB - I am not sure how this is a solution?  Is there a way to have it stop asking me for permission when I exit a call?  It seems as another poster suggested that at the very least it should ask this before I start a call?  And how do I stop it from asking me?  I am fine with it doing whatever it needs to do as I have to use Zoom.

This is not a solution…

lew_b
Listener

Yes, this seems self-contradictory also: First it says it "would like to access data from other apps" followed by the tip of "Keeping app data separate makes it easier to manage your privacy and security", which says to me "Don't do this"! I'm always going to err on the side of keeping things as locked down as possible, so I'm not giving Zoom "full disk access" cavalierly... I'll live with having to dismiss this every time for now, but like was said above, it would be nice to know just exactly WHAT it needs access to and WHY!

TheTransplant
Listener

ok, this is annoying.  I suppose this needs to get fixed through an update?

KennethP
Listener

As we seem to have investigated this fully, I'm going to mark the issue solved.

Zoom has always tried to be the easiest video conference platform to use, especially for people without a Zoom account who just want to join a call. Back then (pre-pandemic) video conference was just a way to avoid flying across the country for a meeting. In that use case, removing user steps and decision points was a feature. 

Today, the use case is different and so is Zoom. For Zoom to do more, it needs to connect to the other tools we use for a more robust online meeting experience. At the same time, users expect and require more fine-grained control over personal data access. If you work in a regulated industry, this could be a complete non-starter.

In my ideal state, I would like Zoom to:

1. access only the data that is required to perform a user-initiated request outside of the core microphone/camera functions. (For example, to view a PowerPoint presentation or a share a file.)
  2. verify with the user that it is OK to access that data at the time the user makes the request.
  3. allow the user to decide to permit data access "always" or "for this meeting only"
  4. provide a settings area for the user that details the permissions that have been granted by the user with a way to recind individual permissions.

Of course, Zoom is working within the model defined by macOS and other platforms. This is not entirely in their control. That said, as Zoom has grown from a plucky SF startup trying to make online meetings easier to a communications juggernaut, this is not an unreasonable thing to expect.

Venkat_A
Listener

The expected behaviour as described above is great. One thing, which I find odd is, why is the permissions being asked at the time *exiting* the app?  (Not while app is running / while we are trying to share a screen or file etc).

gazgaz8
Listener

As others have said, the above is not solved. See https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2023/10053/?time=1066. Zoom is not being specific re: what it is accessing (when DISCONNECTING from a meeting!) and why. The permission is appropriately revoked after the individual instance. I believe Zoom needs to make updates to conform to the new security requirements of MacOS Sonoma.

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @KennethP @cnadig @gazgaz8 @mcirtain @TravellingDeon it seems our engineering teams were resolve this issue. It's suggested to Uninstall and reinstall the Zoom application updating Zoom to the latest version.

As of today 11/1/23, Zoom version 5.16.6 (24664).

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

I am on Sonoma 14.1.1 and was having the issue.  I fixed it by going to: System Settings > Privacy & Security > Full Disk Access > and then scrolling down to Zoom and turning on the toggle switch. 

That's like saying that you can solve the problem of occasional home break-ins completely by simply leaving your front door open all the time.

This solution worked for me and is safer than giving Zoom access to your disk for unknown reasons.

DrRickB
Listener

I am on Sonoma 14.1.1 and was having the issue.  I fixed it by going to: System Settings > Privacy & Security > Full Disk Access > and then scrolling down to Zoom and turning on the toggle switch. 

That's like saying that you can reduce any concerns about people nagging you to lend them money by simply giving them every penny that you have from the outset.