cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom video not working on Dell Inspiron 15 laptop integrated web cam

Kathy7
Listener

I regularly use my laptop's integrated video camera in GoToMeeting and it works just fine. Zoom, however, will not show any video. I have downloaded the latest version, I have checked my privacy settings which show that Zoom has access to my camera.  I have rebooted my laptop since installation of zoom. The camera light shows "on" on the laptop when I start a meeting, but nothing shows in the preview or to people on the call with me.  

10 REPLIES 10

jeremyjustin
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hi @Kathy7 thank you for your post here on the Zoom Community! I wanted to offer some thoughts about why this may be happening:

- occasionally you may have another app open that is using the camera and tying up the camera in such a way that it can't be shared with other apps. Microsoft Skype for example is one I have seen do this. If you can completely exit out of any apps that might be using the camera and try Zoom again that would be great. 

Also, you can go into your Zoom client settings

jeremyjustin_0-1643393301687.jpeg

You can even do this when you are not in a meeting. Click on Video, and you will see some camera choice options there. If your camera is recognized by Zoom you will see a small picture of yourself in camera. 

If this has answered your question to your satisfaction, please click the "Accept as Solution" button below but if not please reply and we can continue the  discussion. Thank you!

I have gone into settings and confirmed everything. When I turn Video on, the light shows on my laptop's webcam. But the screen for preview is black. I have no other video software apps running at the time. This only happens for Zoom.

jeremyjustin

Hi @Kathy7 thank you for the additional detail. Ok, if you have for sure exited out of any other program that may be using your camera, and still no video, we may need to completely uninstall the Zoom client and start fresh. If you could follow these steps https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362983-How-to-uninstall-Zoom

And try again, still making sure no other program is open which could be using the camera. 

If this has answered your question to your satisfaction, please click the "Accept as Solution" button below but if not please reply and we can continue the  discussion. Thank you!

I have uninstalled and re-installed the zoom client already.  I just did it again just to make sure, and same exact thing, black screen. It never prompts me to give permission to access my camera or microphone, like most video software does.  I also closed Microsoft Teams just in case that was interfering. Same thing.  

I uninstalled Zoom and reloaded it. My video still will not come on. It has defaulted to Cyberlink Web Cam Splitter. I do not have an external camera, only the one built in to my Dell Desktop. My video is totally muted. I cannot control it.

Kathy7
Listener

I rebooted and now it's working.  Thanks for walking through the whole thing with me.

jeremyjustin

Ah the magical reboot 🙂 Thanks @Kathy7 for letting us know! 

PeterMartin
Listener

I now have the problem described above.  My camera works - but in Zoom I can't be seen by others.

DebraFoxx
Listener

I have a Dell desktop with an integrated camera. I have uninstalled and installed Zoom, I have removed Skype and Teams from my desktop, I ran a diagnostic with Dell to test the camera and still Zoom is not showing my video.

Necroscope
Listener

It appears that it is Zoom itself that has the camera occupied and will not let zoom access the camera. The only consistent fix I have found is to:

Open Zoom

confirm that it cannot access the camera

close and then force close Zoom from the OS ( even closed it appears Zoom is running in the background)

cycle the os setting for allowing the desktop app to access the camera

restart Zoom

This works about 95% of the time. When it doesn't, I repeat the step several time.