cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom "It looks like we are unable to connect."

richardaeck
Listener

I have been using Zoom for over a year on my laptop and with no change of settings it is now saying:
"It looks like we are unable to connect. Please check your network connection and try again."

I have been through many YouTube tutorials and videos and confident firewall and anti-virus should be letting it through.  Has anyone elso encountered/overcome this issue?  Any suggestions?

15 REPLIES 15

Lam_Cake
Listener

Our organization just started experiencing this issue fairly regularly as well over the last few weeks.  Generally, we are able to get logged in by closing the application and re-opening it. However, after I just updated to v5.8.6, it is not working for me even after rebooting. I'm running Windows 11.

RonMeyn
Listener

We are also experiencing this issue from our office internet.

I have realised that if I connect my PC to the internet over my mobile (via hotspot), the problem goes away. 

I have tried to look for anywhere to try and raise the issue with suppoort, but it seems like Zoom does not want to acknowledge any issues?

gregsy
Listener

Any resolution on this. I just started experiencing this today and cannot log into any Zoom meetings now. I tried rebooting, shutting down Zoom, clearing IP DNS, etc., but still no luck

Hey @gregsy
I went to my main router and changed the DNS server to point straight to google's server (8.8.8.8) as a part of my own troubleshooting.

Magically my problems went away, and even though I was arguing with my ISP about it being a problem with their DNS addresses, they we re adamant it wasn't their problem. 

But I know otherwise... 

Maybe zoom are getting too dynamic with their server IP address allocation and DNS servers are struggling to keep up with the changes...

Anyway, try that by  either changing your local PC's DNS server to 8.8.8.8 or your router if there are many PC's in your network with the same issue.. 

I would only do the former if you weren't trying to access a lot of devices on your local network.

gregsy
Listener

Thanks Ron. What I did was to just uninstall and reinstall the Zoom desktop app and that seems to have fixed the issues. 

Si_mo_n
Listener

Hi
Can someone offer me help with this same Issue. 
Am using my work laptop for Zoom . I can login in well on the web browser but not on the Desktop Zoom App. Every time I try it shows connecting loading  for a while then afterwards it says " It looks like we are unable to connect. Please Check your network connection and try again. Its nothing to do with my internet  since I can browse the web easily and smoothly . 
Just wondering if anyone on here has got a genuine solution to this technical problem if they have encountered this similar issue . 
At same time am not sure if the problem is due to Zooms App upgrade . Since before I never used to have this error . I would login straight away.  Or could it be to my IT Admin securities and all that. Appreciate your help guys if any . Thank you . Simon 

We are having the same issue as of yesterday, 9/19/2023.  No solution found as of yet.  😞

We are also having the same problem... first report was today, 9/20/2023.

It looks like zoom have hardcoded certain clients to use google DNS, specifically 8.8.8.8, for certain DNS lookups (specifically for SIP endpoints).  All other DNS lookups follow the DHCP configured DNS endpoints and get successful DNS replies.  As secure orgs will block 8.8.8.8, the connection fails.

Additionally, it's not failing the primary DNS lookup and failing back to 8.8.8.8 - it's going there for the primary lookup - something must be hard-coded somewhere.

This problem started with IOS app version 5.16.0.

You could open 8.8.8.8 to get it working temporarily, but this IP isn't' published on the required zoom phone firewall config page and it certainly shouldn't work this way - https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362683-Zoom-network-firewall-or-proxy-server-settings.

Zoom will be releasing IOS app version 5.16.1 to permanently address this.

Last week I temporarily solved the issue by just unloaded the 5.16.0 client that was failing and reinstalled 5.15.11, which worked fine.  I see Zoom has just released a 5.16.1 version, so I may have to download and test that version and see if that resolves the problem introduced in version 5.16.0.

Nope... the new 5.16.1 update did not fix it.  Consequently I uninstalled 5.16.1, reinstalled 5.15.11, and am back in operation.  

Good catch "rbottiglieri".  They must have changed the SSL modules in their client software.  Removing the SSL decryption/inspection at our firewall fixed it for us as well.  Thanks.

jmorales
Listener

I've got the same problem.
Can anyone help sharing the solution for it?

rbottiglieri
Listener

Disable SSL decryption on your firewall for *.zoom.us. That resolved it for me.

Good catch.  They must have changed the SSL modules in their client software.  Removing the SSL

decryption/inspection at our firewall fixed it for us as well.  Thanks.