cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom camera shows me sideways on and does not respond to manual resetting

FPC
Listener

I am using a Lenovo laptop for zoom meetings.  

It is now shifting my camera image sideways on and does not respond to the manual change either during a meeting or outside of a meeting.  I have tried uninstalling zoom and reinstalling zoom and my IT support has checked my Lenovo laptop and its inbuilt camera and it is updated and all working correctly, except for this issue within zoom.

20 REPLIES 20

Rupert
Community Champion | Customer

Hi @FPC 

Can you please describe what you mean by sideways on - and what "manual change" you have tried?

Thanks,

Rupert

I'm having have the same problem (which was not happening until recently, with the same device) with a modern tablet running on Windows 10. The camera is incorrectly orientated every time I open Zoom. I can correct it manually but as soon as I switch my camera off in a meeting it reverts and needs re-correcting when I switch the camera back on again. The corrections won't 'stick'  and I can't find a way of making them do so.

Bridget2

My video has me sideways, as if I were lying down.  I can't find anywhere on how to fix it.  Also, my video is blurred.

FPC
Listener

Hi Rupert

My image is 90 degrees , either to the left or to the right.

I have followed the instructions in zoom to rotate the image/camera  but it then flicks back immediately to put me sideways on.

Rupert

Can you trying toggling off and on your HD and Ratio settings under your video preview. Or on and off - depending on their current state. Try rotating your video between each change to see if any change allows the rotate change to stick.

FPC
Listener

I’ve tried that and none of the changes are allowing the rotate to stick.

Rupert

Are you trying to use any Virtual Background - and can you try also testing with all the options below disable?

Rupert_0-1632835469291.png

FPC
Listener

Hi Rupert

No virtual background, and I have tried it now with all the 'my video' options disabled and it is still not enabling the rotate to stick after I have manually changed it.

Rupert

Okay.

So a few troubleshooting questions:

When you try to rotate your camera in Zoom, how long does it take to revert back. Immediate, or some seconds or time later? 

What happens if you rotate your display in Windows - Ctrl + Alt + "Left Arrow" or "Right Arrow". Does your webcam view rotate along with the entire screen - or does it auto-adjust back to where it was? Ctrl + Alt + "Up Arrow" to restore your screen to normal BTW

Exactly what Lenovo model is your laptop - and does it have a touch screen?

Do you have additional monitors connected - and if so, could you try with the laptop just standalone?

What version of Zoom are you running?

Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this!

Rupert

This happens to me with my new Samsung galaxy s9 ultra tablet. Nothing helps. And I can't get anyone on zoom to help me! In using latest software, reinstalled etc. It only started happening a few weeks ago. Before that it was fine. HELP!!!!

FPC
Listener

Hi Rupert

Thanks for coming back to me... I appreciate your help and perseverance.

When I try to rotate the camera in zoom it will show the change in settings but when I close and return to  meeting or to then go back to check in settings it has reverted.

If I rotate the display in Windows using Ctrl + Al + Left arrow or Right arrow the screen will rotate but the camera image remains sideways on and makes no adjustment at all.

The Lenovo laptop is quite old - model MIIX 320 -101CR; model name 80XP

I connect to a big monitor when I use at home and the monitor screen displays the camera image from the laptop correctly - there is no camera on the big screen so it is using the Lenovo camera which continues to display the camera image sideways on.  I am now working back in the office , taking my laptop for meetings into a separate room from our open plan office.

The version of zoom is 5.8.0 (1324).

mikalos
Listener

I have almost the same problem, but the Zoom video setting fix "sticks" until the next time i open a new meeting.

Bear with me, i just tried a lot of things that may help find this bug - which i think may have been introduced in a recent Zoom update, because we did not see it until today. We are currently on Zoom 5.7.7 - one behind i know, but it sounds like the problem is worse in 5.8.0.

We use an Acer Aspire ES-575 purchased in 2017 running Windows 10 version 10.0.19042, and we have *not* applied September Windows updates yet.

We do use an external monitor with Zoom set to "use Dual monitors" - sometimes the external is in landscape mode, and sometimes it is in portrait(flipped), and the external monitor is the Windows "main display" so it gets the main Zoom window with the gallery view. Three days ago we did a 90 minute meeting with the external screen in landscape and *no* camera rotation problems. Three or four weeks ago (and always before that) we did meetings with the external screen in portrait(flipped) and *no* camera rotation problems.

Just a few hours ago we joined a meeting with the external screen in portrait(flipped) and *only* our camera view showed up rotated 90 degrees with the top to the left - which would match the physical top of the external screen *if* it were still in landscape. This rotated view appeared to us in our square of the gallery and to remote viewers. All other participant windows appeared normally, and the rest of the Zoom main window was also correct on the external screen in portrait mode.

We had no time to fix it, so we switched to another device for that meeting.

Later i found a post here in the community that revealed the tiny rotation tool on the preview in video settings, and as i said it fixes the problem until i close the meeting and open a new one. (I really hope to see that setting moved to the regular menu so it is easier to find.)

Here is the weird additional clue - if i open the Microsoft provided Camera app, it looks normal on the built in laptop screen, but if i drag the window to the external screen, the camera view rotates 90 degrees . . . and if i drag the window back it reverts to normal. Really???

Maybe that last item points to a Windows problem - but Zoom successfully ignored it before?

Good luck to the bug swatting crew - it feels like it will be very frustrating to find.

angerama10
Listener

I, too, have a user that is experiencing a similar issue.  His video is rotated 90 degrees (he is sideways).  He can manually rotate it using the rotation buttons in the upper right, but if he turns off the video during a meeting, then turns it back on, he is sideways again.  His video feed is upright in other meetings applications, like Teams and Webex.  It's only a problem with Zoom.  Also, he is not logging into a Zoom account, so he does not have any settings within a Zoom account that he could possibly adjust.  He only joins Zoom meetings set up by other people, so no need for him to have a login account.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, as I submitted this to Zoom support, and they immediately closed the ticket, unwilling to assist someone without a corporate account.

SocSecSue
Listener

Same here; I'm using Version: 5.7.7 (1105) and my video is consistently rotated 90 degrees on startup;  I can rotate it back using video settings, but every time I restart it's wrong again.  It's a real nuisance that's obviously something to do with the Zoom app.

SocSecSue
Listener

Had this from Zoom Support:

The team has identified this to be a bug and a fix will be released by 5.8.3 date October 25, 2021.

AnnaW
Listener

Yes this is happening to me too. It's a recent thing and now happens every day, no matter how many times I rotate my screen back. If I turn the video off at all, it comes back on sideways and is distracting for everyone in the zoom room.

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hey @FPC@Bridget2@mikalos@AnnaW, and @angerama10, for Zoom Version 5.8.3 we've resolved an issue regarding the camera rotation resetting for each meeting - Windows. You can look into the release notes here https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/4411402992653

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

I checked the camera before the zoom meetings, and I looked upright and normal.  But in a zoom meeting last week and today, my camera shows me sideways.  So at least for me, the bug has not been fixed.   I am on a Lenovo laptop.  Windows 10 Pro.  Version 1909.  What do you recommend I do to fix this problem?

This happens to me with my new Samsung galaxy s9 ultra tablet. Nothing helps. And I can't get anyone on zoom to help me! In using latest software, reinstalled etc. It only started happening a few weeks ago. Before that it was fine. HELP!!!!

pamsback1
Listener

The reply from Rupert was: "Can you please describe what you mean by sideways on - and what "manual change" you have tried?"

Sideways means the person was sitting upright and the zoom screen show the person and their room on their side). This can also be described as a 90-degree angle.  If you need more description as to what sideways means, please let me know.  

Note: the computer/monitor camera is positioned correctly and when not on zoom or any website, the computer camera displays the person sitting upright.  Therefore, the zoom website video is in need of adjusting.  That is the question: How to adjust the Zoom website video to display the operator in the upright position.