cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom Telling me I have to wait 10 minutes to Start New Meeting

Acandy13
Listener

Hello - for the first time ever, I was told I had to wait 10 minutes to start my meeting back up again (I use the free Zoom account). This happened after the 40 minute limit. 

Did new rules go into play today for Zoom? (7/9/23)?

If not, how do I avoid this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

CarlaA
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi everyone!

I understand how frustrating it can be to experience sudden disruptions during your Zoom meetings, especially when it affects your professional commitments. However, I'd like to clarify that the behavior you encountered is not an error message but rather a limitation of the free basic meetings on Zoom.

In order to provide a seamless experience without breaks between meetings, I recommend upgrading to Zoom One Pro. This will allow you to enjoy the flexibility of hosting unlimited back-to-back meetings with no interruptions. I would like to offer you all a special discount of 50% off your first 2 months of Zoom One Pro. Additionally, you'll receive 1 year of unlimited Whiteboard usage on us. Terms apply. Get offer. 

Disclaimer:

This offer is only available to new customers purchasing a Pro Monthly Plan Online. This offer is not available to customers with pre-existing discounts. Maximum of 9 Monthly or Annual Licenses per Purchase. This coupon has no cash value and can only be used for up to 9 Pro Monthly or Pro Annual Licenses.

Carla,
Zoom Community Team

Carla (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30

StaceyT
Listener

I just experienced the same thing. Bad form, Zoom.

ocher74
Listener

Same here I never had this before. today my first time experiencing I am very unhappy with this

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer

This wait time before starting another meeting in Basic accounts has been rolling out for over a month now.  

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

interesting! I have been going from meeting to meeting with no wait time the past week

Thanks. Was there an email that came out about this? It just seems like poor form that this would start randomly one day for my account

YvetteRaven
Listener

I would also like to know how to avoid this. I was not warned about this and all of a sudden I have to wait 10 minutes before I have to reconnect. I'm not at all happy about this. 

Ray_Harwood

Welcome to the Zoom Community, @YvetteRaven.

The only way to avoid it is to pay for a Zoom License.  Zoom does what it can to support Basic (free) accounts, but I'm guessing that the number of people who take undue advantage by staying on Zoom constantly (by logging back on every time their 40 minutes is up) has required them to take some action to discourage or curtail the abuse.  Not saying any of you are abusing... but it's a free account you're complaining about.

If a Zoom Basic (free) account isn't giving you what you need, try Google Meet or Amazon Chime.

Can you give me the link to the announcement of this section. So I can report back to my boss

Ray_Harwood

See @CarlaA's response here:

https://community.zoom.com/t5/Meetings/Enforcing-10-minute-wait-time-before-you-can-re-enter-and-hos...

There is not a definitive Support article that I'm aware of, but Carla is a Zoom employee and someone I trust.

I have been using Zoom once a week on the basic plan with about 10 people for a meeting since 2020 when covid started. We do 2-40 minute sessions. Today 7/20/23 was the first time I was told without notice that I had a 10 minute wait. Now I either wait 10 minutes or sign up for Pro for $150 a year where people can have unlimited meetings with large groups of people. I know it has been free but why not a plan for smaller groups with less use? Google meets is atleast an hour, may change. Sorry Zoom!

"Abuse"?? What are you talking about??? An abuse is when you force people to do something. Like buying a product, for example. I was using their service totally according to their rules. They could have set a warning for this change at the beginning of the session, but they choose not to announce this change officially anywhere. That pissed me off quite a bit. Si, bye bye Zoom.

Adrianne13
Listener

I absolutely hated this!

Car47
Listener

I'm having this problem since 7-10-23.  How did Zoom let you know you had to wait 10 minutes?  Did you get through to customer service?

There was no notice. When I tried to sign in to my second session, it told me then that there would be a 9 minute wait. 

They did not inform us. They had us sign an agreement form after an update, which they apparently thought was enough!. Who has time to read all those?

Acandy13
Listener

After the meeting ended after 40 minutes and we went to go back in, it told me I couldn't get back in for another 10 minutes.

twchee52
Listener

I also face this problem and it was very suddenly without any notice 😥 after 40mins meeting then wait for another 10mins only can rejoin , my boss chop me soon.... 

CarlaA
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi everyone!

I understand how frustrating it can be to experience sudden disruptions during your Zoom meetings, especially when it affects your professional commitments. However, I'd like to clarify that the behavior you encountered is not an error message but rather a limitation of the free basic meetings on Zoom.

In order to provide a seamless experience without breaks between meetings, I recommend upgrading to Zoom One Pro. This will allow you to enjoy the flexibility of hosting unlimited back-to-back meetings with no interruptions. I would like to offer you all a special discount of 50% off your first 2 months of Zoom One Pro. Additionally, you'll receive 1 year of unlimited Whiteboard usage on us. Terms apply. Get offer. 

Disclaimer:

This offer is only available to new customers purchasing a Pro Monthly Plan Online. This offer is not available to customers with pre-existing discounts. Maximum of 9 Monthly or Annual Licenses per Purchase. This coupon has no cash value and can only be used for up to 9 Pro Monthly or Pro Annual Licenses.

Carla,
Zoom Community Team

Carla (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

i understand you guys just really want to make money but i use zoom once a month for one meeting that sometimes runs over the 40 minutes. i dont need a fancy zoom, i just need something that works and im not going to pay 150$ a year for something i only use once in a while. you need to make a cheaper version for us normal folks.

Ray_Harwood

Welcome to the Zoom Community, @toastedfroglegs.

If a Zoom Basic (free) account isn't giving you what you need, try any of the following:

• Microsoft Teams With the "For Home" option, Free has 60 minute limit; Personal at $7/month is 30 hours
  • BlueJeans Free plan unlimited duration up to 25 participants
  • Google Meet 60 minute limit for group meetings (3 or more); 24 hours for 1-on-1 meetings
  • Amazon Chime Check out their Pro plan which is $3 per day used, up to a max of $15/month
  • Jitsi (I don't think there's a limit)
  • Webex (50 minutes)
  • GoToMeeting (40 minutes)
  • Whereby (up to 45 minutes free, unlimited plan $7/month)

Thanks for the info. We also have good old SKYPE!

I totally agree. Not everyone using ZOOM is overusing it, or making high amounts of money. There might be alternative prices for different lengths of use.

Hi Carla,

I know it is a free service (thanks) that we're complaining about, but I wish ZOOM could find another way to stop people from abusing the service and  it had also considered the fact that teachers and instructors in countries where 150 dollars is far too high for their incomes use ZOOM, too.  I wish this new rule included only those who use ZOOM all day, every day.

Hi @CarlaA , Can you either confirm or deny that Zoom has this 10 minute wait between free meetings?  Where is this limitation documented?

Best Regards, Sean

The Solution is to set up 2 or 3 meetings and run them back to back!

Good Evening Carla, 

Is this anywhere in Zoom documentation, or are we just relying on support members replies in the forum?  Everything I can find in the documentation says nothing about cooldowns, waiting periods, or other such hurtful  tactics to get subscribers.  In fact, per the Zoom article https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0070458 it specifically states "You can either end the meeting and restart it for an additional 40 minutes, or you upgrade to Pro for unlimited meeting durations. "  

Where else can we get clarification of what is going on?  

Thank you, 

Binaryatt

farhan2023
Listener

I am leaving zoom for discord because of this

farhan2023
Listener

I experienced the same today and used discord instead of. I will move totally to discord or Google meet for this.

JN-admin
Listener

I met with 10 minute pause after last update today and its frustrating to wait 10 minute. I say bye-bye to ZOOM i  hope. This platform was very good for meetings, but I didnt make money with meetings, so I need to find another way for meetings. 

I hope the lost customers will be good experience for ZOOM team and its good advertise for other platforms, to get new customers.

heyheyzoomer
Listener

Wait time is still in effect.

Hey ZOOM, are you going to change back to zero wait time? No other product does this.

If not, I'll have to switch to alternate free apps with no wait time.