cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom Bombers took total control of our app

HyperMom
Listener

Last Monday, our meeting was bombed and our plan was to have the co-host remove the bombers while I lock the room. That would have worked nicely if our options/buttons were available to use to do so - but they weren't.

My security button located at the bottom of the Zoom window was missing and when I tried to help my co-host remove the offenders, there was no option to "Remove."

This has gone from bombing to hacking now.

Tonight's meeting we will enable a waiting room but these guys are just changing their names to unassuming names and it is impossible to determine who will be an unwelcomed member or not.

Need some serious help here! I've alerted Zoom via a support tix but have yet to hear back from them.

TIA,

Mary

4 REPLIES 4

MicahHoffman
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hi Mary,

can you please have the meeting host open a support ticket with Zoom Support? 

You can have them use this link for our support options:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us 

In regards to the meeting intruders, in order to see the security options, you'll need to be the host of the meeting, and you'll need to be signed into the Zoom application as the host. If you are not the host, or if you are not signed in with your Zoom account you won't see them.

From the participant menu, the Host is able to remove meeting members, and also to report them. This will prevent them from rejoining.

As far as preventing this from happening, I recommend that you generate new meetings instead of reusing old meeting details so that if credentials to joining a meeting were ever leaked, they would not be used in the future.

I also recommend using a password, and if possible a waiting room, for all meetings. You can also use email domain verification if you know the domains of the people joining the meeting (email at workcompany dot com)  could be a required domain for joining a work meeting of internal users).

Let me know if you have further questions!

Thanks,

Micah

HyperMom
Listener

Thanks, Micah - I did open a support tix and I was the host, and all of this that you cited:

In regards to the meeting intruders, in order to see the security options, you'll need to be the host of the meeting [check], and you'll need to be signed into the Zoom application as the host [check]. If you are not the host, or if you are not signed in with your Zoom account you won't see them. I was signed on but I couldn't see them - that was the scary part!

From the participant menu, the Host is able to remove meeting members, and also to report them. This will prevent them from rejoining. We started to remove them but then they took over the controls and the Remove option was GONE! I always report but this hasn't stopped anyone. I think they have dozens of accounts each time they do this.

We are implementing a Wait Room tonight.

This is a publicly posted recovery meeting so we can't 'hide' our password if we want to open this up to folks looking for help.

MicahHoffman

Hi!

If it's public, then definitely using a waiting room would be important! 

I hope the support escalation can get to the bottom of why you couldn't see host controls.

Thanks,

Micah

Rip
Listener

i dont no