cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wayland screen sharing broken on high-res (beyond 1080p) displays

mister_davido
Listener

I am on Fedora 36 using Zoom 5.11.9, using GNOME under Wayland. Normally I perform most of my work on an ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor. When I attempt a screenshare from this resolution, it appears that most, if not all people in the call (who are likely probably running at 1920x1080 or 1200) aren't able to see my screen. From the attachment, my screen appears distorted in the eyes of others in the room. I have noticed that if I scale my resolution down to 1920x1080 (which is my laptop displays' native resolution), my screen appears just fine. So I'm going to rule this down to Wayland and resolutions beyond 1920x1080 (or 1200).

If I run an X11 session, I notice that the screenshare scales down to fit 1080p monitors, but is otherwise perfectly visible. This is sort of the behavior I was hoping for under Wayland as well.

If it matters - I am connected to the external monitor via DisplayPort. I've tried setting the refresh rate to 60 or 100 hz, but that had no effect.

19 REPLIES 19

Nothing about this reply has anything to do with my platform (Linux).

Did you get it to work?  I've tried versions 5.12.2 5.12.6 but screen just shows to be black with different resolutions

I would suggest trying a resolution with an aspect ratio of 16:9. I am using the Zoom flatpak (v5.13.7.683).

dbarbi1
Listener

I have the same issue. 

I recently purchased a nice 21:9 widescreen monitor. Since then I've noticed that when I try to share my screen on Zoom, it doesn't work. Participants see a black screen. In my preview I see a garbled screen, same as your screenshot.

Trying to share an application window instead of the entire desktop does not work, and results in the same issue. Changing the monitor resolution to 2560x1440 (16:9) fixes the issue and allows me to share desktop or application.

Changing into x11 fixes the issue and lets share desktop and applications as normal.

Using the builtin Gnome screen recorder works with wayland regardless of desktop or application sharing.

I'm sure zoom + wayland + widescreen is a fairly niche combination, but it would be good to get it fixed as this doesn't happen on other platforms.

andersonjwan
Listener

I am also having this issue. While my monitor is not an ultra-wide as others have mentioned, I am also experiencing distortions with my 1680x1050 (16:10) and attempting to share just a window does not remedy the issue as well. The only solution, as mentioned by others, is to drop my resolution to 1600x900 (16:9).

I have not found a true solution currently but will update if one is found.

To provide an update to my current solution. I have opted to prioritizing using Zoom in the Firefox web browser as sharing screen/windows works as expected. This, unfortunately, is dependent on the host of the meetings and whether they allows this option.

Another option that works if I cannot use the browser is to share my screen from my laptop display. For example, I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T14 with a resolution of 1920x1080 and two external monitors with a resolution of 1680x1050 each. Within the application, sharing either of the external monitor displays results in the distorted "tearing" effect; whereas if I share my laptop's native display, then it works with the exception that the cursor is missing.

dbarbi1
Listener

Would be great if we can get acknowledgement from Zoom that they are aware of this problem. 

For what it is worth, another solution is to use the browser client instead of the zoom desktop client. When using the browser, sharing works as expected. Problem is not all meetings allow use of the browser client.

bwyazel
Listener

Yep, I can confirm that I have the exact same issue on my 21:9 screen. The 3840x1440 resolution seems to be the culprit and switching to 1600x900 seems to work.

Interesting to note is that the browser version of Zoom does not have this issue and screen shares just fine.

calebsynadia
Listener

I am experiencing this issue as well on Zoom 5.14.10.3738 for Linux using Gnome Wayland on Ubuntu 22.04.  Sharing my 2560x1440 16:9 screen works fine.  Sharing my 3440x1440 21:9 screen has diagonal bars in it.

This even happens when sharing a window instead of the whole screen.  A window shared from the 16:9 screen works fine, even when moved to the 21:9 screen after sharing.  A window shared from the 21:9 screen shows diagonal bars in it, which remain after moving it to the 16:9 screen.

Issue appears to be resolved for me using Zoom Version: 5.15.5 (5603) with Ubuntu 22.04 with latest updates installed

That's great that the fix made it to mainline! I've been working with their engineers over the past few months to debug this issue, and they sent me test build a few weeks ago that finally was able to solve the issue. They just didn't give me an ETA when that build would make it to release.

Actually I may have spoken too soon.  I was getting some really weird issues with other parts of Zoom - such as xdg-open opening zoom links  I uninstalled / reinstalled gnome and this issue is back...  I must have been running a preview version of some component, guess it's not actually officially fixed in 22.04 LTS yet ☹️

I'm still seeing the issue on Zoom 5.15.7 and an update to date Fedora 38 Gnome Wayland session.

This should now be fixed in versions >5.15.10

Fantastic, yes it is now working using 5.15.11.7239!

Yea, looks like this one is finally fixed! I'm on Version: 5.15.11 (7239) Fedora 38 Gnome Wayland with a 3440x1440 screen. Thanks bwyazel and the devs. 

Confirmed working on gnome/wayland/nixos with this exact version as well. 

"whew". This one was painful for me with my customers. heh.

dnk
Listener

Let's add another to the list. Happens specifically on 3440x1440. Anything lower works for me.

sithtoast
Listener

And I thought it was just me. Running KDE Wayland - 3440x1440. My 4K screen works flawlessly - must be something with 21:9 displays