cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two meeting links when creating a zoom meeting in Google Calendar

Vigz
Listener

When we're setting up meetings in Google Calendar that need to use Zoom, the invite generates two different links for some reason (two different IDs by the looks of it). This is super confusing and some people join one link, only to wait around for others who join via the other one.

What is the point of this functionality? I would like to set up a meeting with just a single link so there is no confusion at all. This happens whether you use the Gcal zoom add on or not. I can't seem to find a workaround at all. See screenie attached.

6 REPLIES 6

Pattay30
Listener

This just happened to me last week.  I've scheduled many Zoom meetings using my Google calendar and this is the first time it happened to me.  I was wondering why some people couldn't get into the call.   They ended up calling in on the phone because we didn't realize at the time that there were 2 different links generated.  This seems like a Zoom or GCal bug, not a feature that anyone would want.

RoniY
Listener

I was recently notified that this was happening to me. I looked back at old invitations and it's been happening since mid-July which is around the time I installed a zoom update (I usually ignore the popup) but I had other updates to install. I was hoping to find an answer to this problem here, but it looks like no one has provided one yet and even blamed one reporter for user error in this thread: https://community.zoom.com/t5/Meetings/Issue-Two-Zoom-links-in-ONE-meeting-invite-for-the-same-time/...  Very disappointing!
I use the zoom plugin in Outlook (desktop) and typically click on Schedule a Meeting to create an invitation. I've noticed after it retrieves the initial zoom information for the invite, above the Subject line I'll see a new message for "Adding Zoom meeting" {2Zooms(1).png} even though it's already populated in the email and a 2nd zoom URL with a different meeting ID and password will be added {2Zooms(2).png} to the "Location" section. This messes up my Slack plugin for Outlook because it appears to grab the 2nd URL for it's formatting, so depending on whether the invitee uses Slack or Outlook to join the meeting they might be in the wrong URL (both work). I also noticed the 2nd URL has "from=addon" included on it. 
Now that I'm aware of the problem, if I delete the 2nd zoom URL before sending my invite, I've noticed that sometimes when I go to set up another meeting, it won't automatically populate the 2nd URL, but I'll get this error showing up above the Subject line {2Zooms(3).png} instead. The meeting appears to work just fine in spite of the error message, but this "fix" doesn't last. At some random point in the day or the next day, the 2nd URL will populate again. 
Any ideas how to permanently fix this? Do I have to completely remove zoom's plugin and re-add it? Is this a bug that you need to fix?

Bort
Community Champion | Zoom Employee
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hi @RoniY 

Can you check your Outlook settings and see if the Every Meeting Online option is selected? More info can be found here for that setting: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/4406055170317-Scheduling-meetings-with-the-Outlook-add-in#...

What could be happening is that you are manually adding a Zoom meeting to the calendar event, and then Outlook is then automatically adding its own Zoom meeting details to the event. If you disable the automatic option, that should resolve the duplicate info on the calendar event. 

Hope that helps and let us know if it resolves the issue for you!

I've been having this same issue constantly, but your answer doesn't address the question because it's focused on MSFT Outlook. I schedule meetings in Google Calendar, and add Zoom within GCal using the standard integration. It's very common that the meeting link in the body of the email is different than the link at the top. Even more frustratingly, they're often VERY close. Maybe a digit or two different at the beginning of the link. Other than manually checking the links every time, is there some way to prevent that from happening, so half my attendees aren't in a different meeting room than the other half?

Did you figure out a fix? this is happening to me and I use gmail and gcal and zoom

Julia_Zarb
Listener

Did anyone find a way to stop this? This is happening and I can't seem to solve. Did anyone find a resolution? It is confusing and I seem to have people joining two separate meetings - one in Google Meets and one in Zoom for every Google Calendar meeting set.