cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Translated Captions Option Not Appearing

HillelZoom
Listener

Hi, I wanted to ask the community about Translated Captions. Our company works with a global audience and we have an Enterprise account. I can't figure out why the Translated Captions option is not in our portal. The first picture is what we see and the second picture is what we want to see (with the option to enable the feature) . If anyone can assist that would be great. Thanks. 

HillelZoom_2-1689256399386.png

HillelZoom_1-1689256363959.png

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

AaronO2
Listener | Zoom Partner
Listener | Zoom Partner

I'm not exactly sure, but you may need to test that on your end. I would recommend starting a meeting with a coworker, then having you both set your "speaking languages" as different languages and apply the "show captions" setting, then have one person speak in the other language and see if it translates to your language. I'm currently unable to test it out on my end, but I believe that's how it should work.

AaronO_1-1689259037569.png

View solution in original post

KarriGB
Listener

HillelZoom,

From your first picture, it looks like you do not have access to translations. I am on a Pro Account, but was able to add-on Translated Captions for about $50/year (it was pro-rated when I bought it, so that might not be the correct amount). Once you do that, the settings page looks like Aaron02's settings picture with an on/off switch and in a meeting it looks like this:

KarriGB_0-1692876750060.png

So you can select your speaking language and the translation language. HOWEVER, so far the actual in-meeting experience has been very inconsistent, and Zoom Helpdesk is... not very helpful. The only way to see translated captions seems to be to "show original and translated" (see just under the blue line in the photo). If I didn't click this, AND ask everyone in the meeting to do the same (which can be a challenge) I was only seeing myself in the translated language. And since I already know what I am saying, it was not very useful. But this work-around is at least a start... 

Hope that helps.

HillelZoom, 
Did you get it working? Once everyone in the meeting sets their "My speaking language" and "Translating to" (this means other languages translated to your preferred viewing language for captions). Then it should work -- it uses auto-translation, so it is not perfect, but I would say the auto-translation is about 70% correct, and you can guess another 20% from context.  (It struggles a little bit with accents, but not as much as I had expected).

Has it been working for you now?

5 REPLIES 5

AaronO2
Listener | Zoom Partner
Listener | Zoom Partner

Hi HillelZoom,

My settings look like this and I didn't see any way to add the other languages, but I think the toggle to the right of automated captions is enabling them.

AaronO_0-1689257357436.png

With the settings like that, when I open a zoom meeting I can see all the options for CC in languages besides English. Are you able to see a similar option if you launch a zoom meeting?

AaronO_1-1689257475473.pngAaronO_2-1689257495966.png

Thanks Aaron. I see that but will that do translating? How would it work with people who don't speak the same language? 

AaronO2
Listener | Zoom Partner
Listener | Zoom Partner

I'm not exactly sure, but you may need to test that on your end. I would recommend starting a meeting with a coworker, then having you both set your "speaking languages" as different languages and apply the "show captions" setting, then have one person speak in the other language and see if it translates to your language. I'm currently unable to test it out on my end, but I believe that's how it should work.

AaronO_1-1689259037569.png

HillelZoom, 
Did you get it working? Once everyone in the meeting sets their "My speaking language" and "Translating to" (this means other languages translated to your preferred viewing language for captions). Then it should work -- it uses auto-translation, so it is not perfect, but I would say the auto-translation is about 70% correct, and you can guess another 20% from context.  (It struggles a little bit with accents, but not as much as I had expected).

Has it been working for you now?

KarriGB
Listener

HillelZoom,

From your first picture, it looks like you do not have access to translations. I am on a Pro Account, but was able to add-on Translated Captions for about $50/year (it was pro-rated when I bought it, so that might not be the correct amount). Once you do that, the settings page looks like Aaron02's settings picture with an on/off switch and in a meeting it looks like this:

KarriGB_0-1692876750060.png

So you can select your speaking language and the translation language. HOWEVER, so far the actual in-meeting experience has been very inconsistent, and Zoom Helpdesk is... not very helpful. The only way to see translated captions seems to be to "show original and translated" (see just under the blue line in the photo). If I didn't click this, AND ask everyone in the meeting to do the same (which can be a challenge) I was only seeing myself in the translated language. And since I already know what I am saying, it was not very useful. But this work-around is at least a start... 

Hope that helps.