cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared videos are not in correct aspect ratio--they are "stretched" horizontally

RBinPerson
Listener

Hi-- 

When I screen share MP4 videos from my computer, the original aspect ratios of these videos are "stretched" slightly. For example, let's say I have a short clip from a 1944 movie that is in the old 4:3 aspect ratio. When I play it (offline) on Windows Media Player on my computer, it displays the correct aspect ratio. However, when I'm in Zoom, and I screen share/advanced/video, and I play the clip with the Zoom player, the aspect ratio is incorrect and stretched horizontally.

Is there a way to adjust this in Zoom? The original videos are in the correct aspect ratio, it only happens when sharing on Zoom.  If there is no way to adjust this, then ZOOM--PLEASE CORRECT THIS.  Film People do not like seeing film clips displayed in the incorrect aspect ratio!   Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4

Rupert
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Hi @RBinPerson 

A quick workaround might be to, rather than to share/advanced/video, instead share a local whole display or application window (like Media Player) and choose "Optimize for video clip" and "share sound/Stereo" at the bottom of the Share window. This is more likely to play exactly what  you see locally.

I am not sure - but I can imagine that share/advanced/video might be built around 16:9. But only guessing there.

By all means also submit your request at https://zoom.us/feed

Hope this helps a little.

holger
Listener

Hi, were you able to solve this? I have the same problem, but the other way around: original video is 16:9, but share-advanced-video displays it in 4:3. The funny part is that this only happens with some videos, out of a whole series that were all produced in the same way (as far as I can tell).

LAR1973
Listener

Yes again same problem. 
Simple if in a zoom meeting and recording the recording is fine. But if you share a screen it changes to a portrait frame and a horizontal picture/video, regardless if the share is either way. 
Is there more ratio aspect settings in the shared section ? It happens a lot when co-host share, on there phones probably because they are portrait. 
How can we share and ensure the recording doesn’t change?

LAR1973
Listener

Yes again same problem. 
Simple if in a zoom meeting and recording the recording is fine. But if you share a screen it changes to a portrait frame and a horizontal picture/video, regardless if the share is either way. 
Is there more ratio aspect settings in the shared section ? It happens a lot when co-host share, on there phones probably because they are portrait. 
How can we share and ensure the recording doesn’t change