cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recording business meetings using Zoom and iPhone

GMT
Listener

Hello I am looking at how to record business meetings on a budget. I am looking at the use of an iPhone and utilising Zoom software. An area I am trying to find the best solution for is, what microphone would be best for the audio. I don’t want to go to the expense of wireless, rather just the best iPhone compatible microphone to reach distances of up to 30 feet.

5 REPLIES 5

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer

Welcome to the Zoom Community, @GMT.

Are you just wanting to record audio? Or are you hoping to also record video of the participants?

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

GMT
Listener

Audio and video Ray....

Ray_Harwood

Well, I think I’d try connecting a Wi-Fi “Conference speaker” placed strategically in the room. You’ll get much better sound with that, I think, without a huge expense.

If you were just interested in audio, I was going to recommend one of the audio recorders from that other Zoom company (they do hardware – and are often confused with this Zoom). I’ve got one of their audio recorders and it does an excellent job. You might consider also recording just audio – as a backup. 

GMT
Listener

Thanks Ray. Can I ask, using an iPhone and connecting wirelessly to a conference speaker/microphone, will I be able to record the video/audio through my Zoom subscription on the iPhone? Ultimately the aim is to have the recording packaged in mp4 so its then easily uploaded and hosted on YouTube. Hope that makes sense.

Ray_Harwood

Hey, @GMT.

You didn’t mention whether you are on a Licensed (Pro) account or a Basic (free) account. It’s not possible to record “locally” on iOS or Android. If you have a Licensed account, you can record to the Cloud and retrieve the recordings from any device. 

If you prefer a Local recording, you could also join the meeting from a PC or Mac, and initiate a local recording there.  Turn off camera and audio in the desktop computer, and it should record whatever the iPhone picks up. 

Here’s the Zoom Support article on local recording:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362473-Enabling-and-starting-local-recordings 

I highly recommend testing whatever scenario you choose – several times before doing it “live”.