cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Presenting an Audio/Video presentation on Zoom but muting at my end only

SteveShoup
Listener

I want to share a four minute homemade video with sound to my participants and I don't want it to be heard at my end as the people with me will be seeing it later in the evening at our live function and I want it to be a surprise for them.  Can I show this video to my online participants so that they can see and hear it but mute it at my end and hide the screen?  How would I do this if it is possible?

4 REPLIES 4

Bort
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Yes, but it is tricky. 

You will need to mute the speakers on your computer, without affecting the audio of the video player and the computer system audio. If your speakers are built-in, it will not be possible to do, but if they are separate, you should be able to lower the volume on the speakers directly without affecting the sound going into the meetings. 

SteveShoup
Listener

Thank you!  This leads now to an additional question.  If the computer (a lap top) has built-in speakers, but in Windows 10  Setting I set the sound output to external speakers or hook them into the earphones plug, am I good to go?

Bort

I do not think that would work, as you would still be adjusting the system volume, which affects the volume of the audio sent to Zoom. Adjusting the volume on external speakers directly does not typically affect the system volume, only the volume the speakers are outputting. If you adjust the volume on Windows directly, that adjust the volume Windows in outputting to all devices, such as Zoom, speakers, etc. 

I would suggest running a test to be sure. 

Rupert
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Maybe you could just plug a simple pair of headphones into your computer. This will prevent the sound coming out of the built-in speakers.