cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preassigning participants to Zoom Breakouts

Kathryn_Bennett
Listener

I'm able to preassign attendees to my breakout rooms without trouble but when I start my meeting and open breakout rooms, the attendees are no longer preassigned. They are labeled as unassigned. 

Once the meeting is complete, I can go back into settings of the meeting and attendees are still preassigned to their breakout. 

Why isn't Zoom assigning those attendees to their designated breakouts when the actual breakout rooms are open?

6 REPLIES 6

TomO
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hello Kathryn,

Sorry you're having trouble with this. Can you confirm that the participants are logging into their Zoom accounts and are using the full Zoom app version 5.3 or higher?
Prerequisites from our support site:

TomO_0-1646762310786.png

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360032752671-Pre-assigning-participants-to-breakout-rooms

Kathryn_Bennett
Listener

Hello Tom,

Yes, the participants signed in with the email address that was assigned to a breakout. I read a forum that said when the breakout rooms are populated by Zoom the program does a virtual headcount in advance of you needing to use the rooms and fills in who is logged into the meeting. If they are not logged in at that time they do not appear in the initial listing. Recreating the breakout room tells Zoom to re-count the meeting. Then upon recreating or "recover rooms" happen, the users should begin to fill in. Does this sound like a possibility?

Kathryn_Bennett
Listener

Tom, Would it matter if these participants were external users vs. internal users? All participants except the host had basic, free Zoom accounts and were not included in the host's license. I did NOT use a csv file to preassign. Does any of this matter?

TomO

I think you're right. It does say external participants require the csv file.

I have tried using the CSV file numerous times, and I still find the students unassigned to breakout rooms.  I tried to upload my CSV file, but it seems that CSV files are not supported.  I've taken a screenshot of the CSV file, and attached it.  Am I doing this correctly?

mccarroll
Listener

I'm having the same issue. Students are logging in with the assigned (school) email. The even more weird thing is that I do this for two classes. One class (16 students) works perfectly. The other (54 students of course!) never works for any participants. I have them assigned; uploaded the CSV file; meeting options shows them assigned to the rooms. However, in class all 54 are unassigned, and I have to assign them manually, which is a HUGE pain for 54 people. Lots of meetint time lost there. I think that I followed the same process both times, and the user logs reveal that the students are using their correct email address. I seriously doubt that all 54 don't use their school email when logging in. It is either all or none it seems. 

Meeting Setup.jpg

The other thing that would be nice is if the br rooms were listed in order on the Zoom client. When looking to assign them manually, I have to constantly search line by line as they seem to be in a random order.