cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Passcode embedding

FredBloggs
Listener

I'm running a big and important meeting next week that will require me to do some things on Zoom that I haven't done before, so I set up a dry-run this afternoon.  I set up a meeting with the same set-up as the big meeting next week and surrounded myself with my iPhone (which will be used for hosting), and then a Windows 11 desktop, a Windows 11 laptop, and an iPad, which would stand in for people joining the meeting.  I used the Zoom-generated passcode for the meeting and sent myself an email with the link to the meeting.  To my surprise, when I clicked the link from the desktop, laptop, and iPad, it requested that the meeting passcode be entered before it allowed me to join the meeting.  I confirmed that in my settings, the "Embed passcode in invite link for one-click join" is turned on, so I'm baffled as to why that happened, but I'm willing to assume that it was some sort of user error.

Here's the question:  I need to know whether the link for next week's meeting (which has already been sent out) is going to create a similar issue.  One way to check is to start next week's meeting now, and see what happens, and then I can leave the meeting, hopefully comfortable that the passcode won't be requested.  If I start the meeting today, and end it today, will the link for next week remain valid, or will the meeting be treated as ended, and thus not valid any longer?  Any other way for me to know for certain if that link will require people to put in the passcode?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Eliot
Community Champion | Zoom Partner

hi fredbloggs,

i set up a test meeting for friday.  i started it, signed in to the meeting and ended the meeting.  the scheduled meeting was still there as a scheduled meeting.  the password was enabled in the link.  did not require me to enter a password.

Eliot_0-1707087656289.png

if you click on the scheduled meeting, you should see a option to copy the invite link.  you could try the invite link to see if it requires a passcode.

Eliot_1-1707087996320.png

thanks,  eliot

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Eliot

hi fredbloggs,

i assume that you followed the support article.

Embedding meeting passcode in invite link

https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0065979

make sure that your personal profile has this feature turned on.  Even though it is permitted at the account level, I think you may need to turn it on for your profile.

Eliot_1-1707085563494.png

Did my response answer your question? If so, please don't forget to mark the reply as an accepted solution.

thanks,  eliot

FredBloggs
Listener

Hi Eliot,

Thanks for your response.  Yes, that setting is turned on as you can see below, which is why I'm puzzled about being asked for the passcode:

FredBloggs_0-1707086000168.png

My real panic is over whether the link that has been sent out will also require the passcode.  I'm hoping not, but I think the only way to check it is to start the meeting and have someone join.  If I do that today, and end the meeting, will the link remain valid for next Sunday, or will the link expire?

Thanks!

FredBloggs
Listener

I just discovered https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0060700, which at the very bottom says:

"Scheduled meetings can be started at any time before the scheduled time. The links will not expire or become invalid unless it is past the 30-day period for a non-recurring meeting, have not been used for over 365 days for a recurring meeting, or have been deleted from your Zoom account. An instant meeting link will expire as soon as the meeting is over."

I guess that answers my question and says that it's ok to start and end the meeting today, and then reuse the link next week?

Eliot

hi fredbloggs,

i set up a test meeting for friday.  i started it, signed in to the meeting and ended the meeting.  the scheduled meeting was still there as a scheduled meeting.  the password was enabled in the link.  did not require me to enter a password.

Eliot_0-1707087656289.png

if you click on the scheduled meeting, you should see a option to copy the invite link.  you could try the invite link to see if it requires a passcode.

Eliot_1-1707087996320.png

thanks,  eliot

FredBloggs
Listener

Thanks Eliot.  I tried the link for the actual meeting (which didn't require a passcode) - and tried it again, and it still seems to work.  I'm baffled about the one test meeting requiring a passcode, but I assume I must have done something wrong.

Eliot

happy to hear that your testing was successful.

eliot