cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notification when the meeting starts

saisai841996
Listener

similar to Microsoft teams, do we get notification saying that meeting started

if the host starts meeting 10min late , how do we identify or know is the meeting started or not??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

chrismenard7
Community Champion | Customer

That is a great question. I use Teams and Zoom all the time. If you are a participant in a Zoom meeting, you do not get notified that someone started the meeting with Zoom. If you are the host, you can get informed, by email, that someone joined your meeting that you haven't started. That setting is under Setting - In Meeting (Advanced) - When attendees join meeting before the host.  I added a screenshot also. This feature is enabled by default, and it is a great feature. It would be nice to go the other way - notify Participants that the Host started the meeting, but there is no setting for that in Zoom. 

I'm not sure if Zoom could implement this feature. Just the way it is structured compared to Teams. With Teams, you have a meeting Organizer, Presenters, and Attendees. Those are the three roles in Teams.  The Organizer is the person that scheduled the meeting. Presenters are people in your tenant (think of that as your company), and they can do almost everything the Organizer can do.  Attendees are people outside your organization/company. 

With Zoom, you have a Host and Participants. The other role is a co-host, but you can only assign someone a co-host role after the meeting starts.  You can have multiple co-hosts.  Co-host is one of my favorite Zoom features.  If you have never used it in a large meeting you are trying to run, you should use it. The co-host has almost the same permissions as the Host. There are only a few things the co-host can't do. One thing a co-host can't do is end the meeting. That is for the host only. There is one more role in Zoom. That is an alternative host. 

I've made a couple of videos on what co-hosts can do. Here is my latest co-host video. https://youtu.be/ITiK00SytIw

I hope this helps. Thank you. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

chrismenard7

That is a great question. I use Teams and Zoom all the time. If you are a participant in a Zoom meeting, you do not get notified that someone started the meeting with Zoom. If you are the host, you can get informed, by email, that someone joined your meeting that you haven't started. That setting is under Setting - In Meeting (Advanced) - When attendees join meeting before the host.  I added a screenshot also. This feature is enabled by default, and it is a great feature. It would be nice to go the other way - notify Participants that the Host started the meeting, but there is no setting for that in Zoom. 

I'm not sure if Zoom could implement this feature. Just the way it is structured compared to Teams. With Teams, you have a meeting Organizer, Presenters, and Attendees. Those are the three roles in Teams.  The Organizer is the person that scheduled the meeting. Presenters are people in your tenant (think of that as your company), and they can do almost everything the Organizer can do.  Attendees are people outside your organization/company. 

With Zoom, you have a Host and Participants. The other role is a co-host, but you can only assign someone a co-host role after the meeting starts.  You can have multiple co-hosts.  Co-host is one of my favorite Zoom features.  If you have never used it in a large meeting you are trying to run, you should use it. The co-host has almost the same permissions as the Host. There are only a few things the co-host can't do. One thing a co-host can't do is end the meeting. That is for the host only. There is one more role in Zoom. That is an alternative host. 

I've made a couple of videos on what co-hosts can do. Here is my latest co-host video. https://youtu.be/ITiK00SytIw

I hope this helps. Thank you. 

Hi @chrismenard7 - thank u for the elaborate message 😀, I'm new to zoom eco system.

But the point here is , this is fine with host and cohost and that stuff. The real struggle is for the participants. They don't know if the meeting is started or not, and the only solution is on a periodic basis we need to check if it started or not😋.

If its possible want this feature or is it under the pipeline. Let me know the platform where i can raise for this feature.

It would be great if this feature comes into.

Thanks a lot for elaborating and screenshots , new things i found 🤝

karthik-anand
Listener

I would agree that this is a necessary feature. Especially for ones who have transitioned from Teams and are so used to receiving a notification when a meeting starts.

PraviPatil
Listener

exactly. I transitioned from Teams and I'm facing the same issue that is being highlighted here. 

I'm a developer and always busy in writing my codes. SO I hardly get any time to check my calendar/emails.  I do have a habit to check for my meeting for the day, but I tend to miss those which are schedule on the same day. However with team, I used to get notification to remind me that the meeting has been started and I am a participant. 

With Zoom now though, I have to keep on checking my emails and calendars regularly just to make sure I am not missing any of meetings. 

I would really appreciate if Zoom come up with the feature to enable the notification if someone starts a meeting. 

aasevedo
Listener

Zoom needs to add a notification for when a meeting starts! This should be the TOP priority before anything else!

joooc
Listener

Very surprised this isn't possible to do. It saves so much time and questions, poking colleagues who might otherwise forget or not notice a new meeting … could really help all Zoom users to increase productivity.

D_P
Listener

I'm not surprised.   I've never seen such a hot mess become so popular.  It's baffling that it can't do this.

sonofaforester
Listener

Add this feature please

hugozivaknits
Listener

I could not agree more, please add it. Apart from the pop-up notification that tells you when the meeting starts, there's one more thing I like about teams and I'm missing in Zoom: I don't want to be the first person joining a meeting and in Teams you can sort of start joining the meeting, then go to the meeting chat and see if there's anyone there already. In case pop-ups don't work properly or if you were asked to join a meeting. You can see in chat who's there before actually joining the meeting.

DanielKlick
Listener

We need this feature! It's too easy to miss a meeting! Someone elevate this.

koz-pfl
Listener

Yep...this is the single feature that makes me not like Zoom over Teams.  I miss too many meetings because I'm focused on working and nothing provides the proper interrupt.  The 10 min meeting reminders are always pop-under boxes and I never see them as I'm deep in development.  In teams...I'd always get the big blue pop-over windows with the Join button...never missed a meeting as a result.