cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Translated Caption the Same As Transcription?

EmilieK
Listener

I need transcription services for a research project. The Zoom info says you need a Business, Education, or Enterprise account for transcription services; however, the least costly plan (Business) requires a 10-license minimum. I am not a business, and it will just be me using the account, so I do not need/want to pay for 10 licenses. I noticed there is a Pro account option for individuals with no license minimum, with an add-on option for "Translated Caption."

--> Is translated caption the same thing as transcription?

--> If not, what is recommended for individuals who need transcription?

Thanks in advance!

Emilie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

YaBoiB
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hi @EmilieK

Translated captions are where Zoom’s AI will solve in real time what the person is saying in your meeting when you enable it. Kind of like allowing CC on your television when you are watching it with the sound down super low or for people with hearing issues. Transcription will show up in a side window with the entire conversation, and you can use that conversation or edit it based on your meeting recording to send a written version of the meeting. These both come with that add-on; you can use them as needed for your business or personal purposes. 

I hope that this helps. 

Thanks,

Brandon

If this is helpful, please click on the accepted solution button

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

YaBoiB

Hi @EmilieK

Translated captions are where Zoom’s AI will solve in real time what the person is saying in your meeting when you enable it. Kind of like allowing CC on your television when you are watching it with the sound down super low or for people with hearing issues. Transcription will show up in a side window with the entire conversation, and you can use that conversation or edit it based on your meeting recording to send a written version of the meeting. These both come with that add-on; you can use them as needed for your business or personal purposes. 

I hope that this helps. 

Thanks,

Brandon

If this is helpful, please click on the accepted solution button

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

Hi Brandon

My need is similar to Emilie's.. 

I have an existing Pro account ..

However.. I cannot find the appropriate process to either confirm the add-on CC translation package pricing or then purchase the add.on licence.

i) ZOOM sales do not respond to my queries (sent to them 3x now this month), and

ii) there appears to be no feedback mechanism  to ZOOM around this ZOOM process (all ZOOM feedbacks seem to target product functionality rather than customer engagement w the company)

Appreciate suggestions on how to actually move ahead with the CC Translation add.on to my Pro account

Go well, Tom

Hi Tom, 

That’s so frustrating that you haven’t received an answer. I’m not all that tech savvy, but I can tell you what worked for me. In the Pro account:

~Push record at the bottom of the screen after you open the meeting.
~It will give you two options-select the one that says something about recording to the Cloud.
~Be sure to push stop record before you end the call. 
~I stayed logged in after the call, and the recordings were available within 10-20 minutes. I also received an email when they were ready. 
~You can find the recordings (audio, visual, and combined) in the Recordings tab on the left of your account page. The transcript will be in the combined file and a notepad version. 

Tips:

~I am disappointed at the vast number of typos and have had to edit a lot of the transcript, so check it for accuracy. 
~I found that editing in Zoom did not always save my edits. It was best to copy and paste to a Word doc, and then edit.

~You can download every version of the recordings. I downloaded the whole bundle (it DL each separately but all arb once) onto my computer and a thumb drive for my purposes. I’m an elder Millennial and don’t totally trust the Cloud, lol. 

Hope this helps!

Emilie

EmilieK
Listener

Thanks so much, Brandon!