cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How a PARTICIPANT can mute all conversation or audio coming from an active Zoom meeting

F1Guy123
Listener

There are MANY reasons that a participant would need to mute all sound coming from an active Zoom session/meeting.  Particularly when used for education that is so popular now with remote schooling.  

Lets say that the teacher tells the class to read a chapter or take a quiz on their computer which happens every day in online class.  While reading or testing, others in the active Zoom meeting are talking, or the instructor is giving instructions or talking.  That chatter interrupts all the other students who are reading or trying to take the test.  It is a HUGE problem for my kids who all attend Zoom online school.  They can not use their local PC audio mute because often the tests have audio components too and they have to hear that audio.  So during a test or other activity, they have to listen to all the chatter and noise coming from the Zoom meeting.

That HAS to be a way to mute all sound coming from Zoom as a participant.  Every article I can find speaks about the host muting participants.  That isn't the question.  If Zoom does not have a way for a participant to mute all audio coming from zoom temporarily while they work on something else on their PC with audio, the feature has to be included in the future.  

I watch kids testing or reading be interrupted by Zoom audio every day in classes.

If there is an answer, please help!
Thanks all.

2 REPLIES 2

Arps
Community Champion | Zoom Employee
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hello!

If your student wanted, they could leave the audio portion of the meeting and then rejoin when needed.  Unfortunately there's not another way to do that right now.   But we do appreciate the feedback!  At this time, all feature requests are managed within our https://zoom.us/feed submission form. We encourage you to submit this idea there, where the information will reach the relevant product team for review.

Hope that helps and please make sure to mark the solution as accepted if this information is what you needed.

Thanks! Rick

It works.  Thanks a LOT for the info.  I will share this with all the students.  It's a bigger problem than people might think... working on something outside of the meeting while still in class etc.  Leaving audio and rejoining works fine and doesn't seem to trigger any issues with the meeting.

Thanks again.