cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Zoom - limiting 40 minuts even for meetings with only 2 people?

carolinadseg
Listener

Hello! I've been using Zoom (free version) for 2 years now and never had any problems with it. Nonetheless, since today morning, i've been starting my meetings for my online appointments (they last around 50-55 minutes, with only one person besides me) and it pops up a warning that my meeting is going to be finished because the duration is only 40 minutes - but I know this only applies to meetings with 3 or more people.

Did this happen with anyone?

Thank you! 
Carolina

9 REPLIES 9

MyCoachIsabelle
Listener

Carolina,

I have the exact same problem that started today too. Curious to get an explanation.

MyCoachIsabelle
Listener

Hi again Carolina,

Just saw a post saying they changed it to 40 minutes even for 2 people.  ;-(

MichelleP1
Listener

I’ve had the exact same issue starting this week!! So the free account has changed?? What a bummer 

_JTovie_
Listener

Hello! Starting May 2, 2022, Zoom is changing the meeting duration limit for 1:1 meetings hosted by Basic users on Free and Free (Credit Card Verified) accounts to 40 minutes. This change creates a uniform 40-minute meeting duration limit for all meetings hosted by Basic users on Free and Free (Credit Card Verified) accounts, including group meetings and one-on-one meetings.

Here's a support article for additional details: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/5809097508109-May-2-2022-Free-account-meeting-duration-cha....

If this helped, please remember to click on the "Accept as Solution" button below.

Is this free?

WTF
Listener

Yeah, I just called them and on May 2nd they changed their Basic plan to kick you out after 40 minutes. This was an executive decision and it's another sign of capitalistic greed from large companies. I loved Zoom and was proud of how they supported people during the beginning of virus - to the point where I opted out of participating in the lawsuit against them even though I experienced multiple meetings that were Zoombombed - but this decision is a game changer for me. Will be switching to Google Chat - another capitalistic powerhouse, but they're still free for basic use, for now at least. So sad and frustrating. 

MarkEinAustin
Listener

I am going to start setting up two meetings, with the second one starting 45 minutes later than the first. I'll send two emails, take a short break when we get cut off, then start the second meeting.  This is BS but I can work around it.

brittles
Listener

WELP time to stop using zoom and switch over to google meet.

Rafamtonon
Listener

The stranger thing is that it keeps sending me this message which does not match their own decision...