cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enabling original sound (2nd step) the wording has changed within the meeting window.

Angie4
Listener

Hi,

So in the previous Zoom version I would simply follow these steps to make sure I was recording with my microphone settings and not having all of Zoom's sound artifacts gt in the way. For that I used to do the following:

1) How to enable the in-meeting option for original sound Desktop client

1. Sign in to the Zoom desktop client.
  2. Click your profile picture, then click Settings
  3. In the navigation menu, click Audio
  4. Under Music and Professional Audio, select the Show in-meeting option to enable "Original Sound" check box.
    The Original Sound setting will be displayed in in the top left corner of your meetings .

2) Then I would preserve original sound during a meeting by following the below instructions.

Desktop client

1. Sign in to the Zoom desktop client.
  2. Start or join a meeting.
  3. Click Turn Original Sound On in the top-left corner. 
  4. To the right of Turn Original Sound On, click the down arrow

to select a microphone that automatically uses original sound when selected.  

• So when it said Turn Original Sound On it means it was currently still deactivated (att: Old_Sound off)
  • And when it sais Turn Original Sound Off, it meant it was currently still activated (att: Old_Sound on)

BUT NOW  for step 2 (to preserve original sound during a meeting ), the wording has change from:

[Turn Original Sound On/Off] to  Original Sound On or Original Sound Off. 

So my question is: Can I check that the current meaning is indeed:

• Original Sound On = it is activated aka it is picking up the original sound and thereby disabling Zoom's sound suppression etc? (att: New 2 sound on?)
  • Original Sound Off = it is deactivated aka I am now recording with Zoom's sound suppression etc  (att: New 1 sound off?)

Thank you in advance for your support. Have attached the screenshots

Angie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Rupert
Community Champion | Customer

HI @Angie4 

Yes - the wording was changed a few versions back, and it did/does cause some confusion.

But here's how it works now.

When it says "Original Sound: Off" - Zoom is digitally processing your audio.

Rupert_0-1633344890032.png

When it says "Original Sound: On" - Zoom is NOT digitally processing your audio.

Rupert_2-1633344955934.png

The tell-tale difference between the old way and the new way is the wording the the colon ":"  

The previous setup was:

When Original Sound was Off the button used to say Turn Original Sound On (i.e. to turn it on)

When Original Sound was On the button used to say Turn Original Sound On (i.e. to turn it off)

... a kind on inverse logic. The old buttons were actions, but the new buttons show current status.

I think the new actually makes more sense, but the change was confusing.

I hope this helps clarify.

If this answers your question please click on Accept as Solution on this answer.

Please also give it a thumbs up, if you like. This was all help the Community know we found a solution within this thread.

If you need any more help, just post back here.

Rupert

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Rupert

HI @Angie4 

Yes - the wording was changed a few versions back, and it did/does cause some confusion.

But here's how it works now.

When it says "Original Sound: Off" - Zoom is digitally processing your audio.

Rupert_0-1633344890032.png

When it says "Original Sound: On" - Zoom is NOT digitally processing your audio.

Rupert_2-1633344955934.png

The tell-tale difference between the old way and the new way is the wording the the colon ":"  

The previous setup was:

When Original Sound was Off the button used to say Turn Original Sound On (i.e. to turn it on)

When Original Sound was On the button used to say Turn Original Sound On (i.e. to turn it off)

... a kind on inverse logic. The old buttons were actions, but the new buttons show current status.

I think the new actually makes more sense, but the change was confusing.

I hope this helps clarify.

If this answers your question please click on Accept as Solution on this answer.

Please also give it a thumbs up, if you like. This was all help the Community know we found a solution within this thread.

If you need any more help, just post back here.

Rupert

Thank you so much! That clarifies it!