cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does it always say it's recording?

JimM1
Listener

If you are using a phone, and don't redirect to store in the cloud, does it still claim that it is recording the meeting?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer

Hey, @JimM1. No worries. Zoom terminology can be difficult even for me!!

So when you say you “asked for a copy of the recording”, do you mean you clicked the Record button on your iPhone?  From an iPhone, recording is only possible on the Cloud, so if the button was available to you and you clicked it, the recording would be on the Cloud after the post-meeting processing was done, and this could only happen if you were Host or Cohost. 

Did you hear the announcement or see the message about “Recording in progress”?  If you did, it isn’t necessarily an indication that your recording started — only that someone started recording. If you were not a Host or Cohost, and you clicked a Record button, it would not have started a recording nor triggered the in-progress alert – but an alert could have been triggered by someone else starting a recording. 

Bottom line: If you got the in-progress alert, it could have only meant that someone else started a recording. If you asked the Host for a recording to be made, it was likely the Host that initiated the recording; you would need to contact the Host to obtain access to it . 

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Ray_Harwood

Welcome to the Zoom Community, @JimM1 

I think you’re asking if Zoom will record locally on your iPhone under certain conditions. The answer is that local recording is only available on Zoom desktop client for Windows, macOS, or Linux. If you start recording while in a meeting on your iPhone, it can only be stored in the Zoom Cloud. 

Yes, I understand that. But if you don't set it up to store in the Zoom Cloud, will everyone still get the announcement that the meeting is being recorded?

Ray_Harwood

Hey, @JimM1.

The announcement doesn't depend on which destination (cloud vs local), it depends on settings in your Personal -> Settings menu in the Recording tab:

Ray_Harwood_0-1683300999546.png

Hi, Sorry, I guess i'm not asking my question clearly enough. Maybe if I describe the situation, it will help.

When connecting to a Zoom meeting, I got the message that it was being recorded. When I asked for a copy of the recording, I was told that since it was started on an Iphone, and wasn't changed to save in the Zoom Cloud, there was no saved copy. So what I'm asking is, if that is the case that it wasn't saving it, would I still get the message that it was being recorded?

Thanks, and sorry again for not writing out the question clearly.

Ray_Harwood

Hey, @JimM1. No worries. Zoom terminology can be difficult even for me!!

So when you say you “asked for a copy of the recording”, do you mean you clicked the Record button on your iPhone?  From an iPhone, recording is only possible on the Cloud, so if the button was available to you and you clicked it, the recording would be on the Cloud after the post-meeting processing was done, and this could only happen if you were Host or Cohost. 

Did you hear the announcement or see the message about “Recording in progress”?  If you did, it isn’t necessarily an indication that your recording started — only that someone started recording. If you were not a Host or Cohost, and you clicked a Record button, it would not have started a recording nor triggered the in-progress alert – but an alert could have been triggered by someone else starting a recording. 

Bottom line: If you got the in-progress alert, it could have only meant that someone else started a recording. If you asked the Host for a recording to be made, it was likely the Host that initiated the recording; you would need to contact the Host to obtain access to it .