cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant connect to Zoom

Erina
Listener

I just got a new laptop recently, and after installing zoom, I realised I couldn't get past the log in page without a "You are unable to connect to Zoom. Please check your network connection and try again" pop up.

I then use my old laptop to try and find out if its really the connection issue . Low and behold, Zoom runs perfectly fine. 

Any ideas on why this happens, and how to solve it?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

yuan-stanley
Participant

If you have a Mac - I had this issue for ages and was unable to resolve it. I finally did a little more looking, and found this StackExchange post that suggested uninstalling Zoom by using their uninstall file instead of putting the Application in the trash.

https://superuser.com/questions/1671647/zoom-on-macos-catalina-hangs-on-connecting-gets-error-unable...

I did this by going to Applications -> right clicking on zoom.us -> Show package contents -> open Contents -> open Frameworks -> use the ZoomUninstaller file.

After this, I reinstalled and it successfully worked.

FYI @Erina @Javier1979 @None @AndreaKing @Ekinney in case any of you are still hitting this issue.

View solution in original post

CarlaA
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi everyone!

On behalf of the Zoom Community team, we wanted to thank you all for the helpful contributions made on this topic. Because of the insightful feedback shared here on this community post, we were able to create a new support article that outlines how to troubleshoot the Zoom error on macOS: You are unable to connect to Zoom. We encourage you to visit and review this article to help guide you in your successful use of Zoom: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/6618841634957.

Thank you!

Moderator Zoom Community Team

Carla (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

View solution in original post

55 REPLIES 55

CarlaA
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @leith1 

I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your zoom app.

Let's start by trying to uninstall the zoom desktop application as per instructions below: 

1. Open the Zoom desktop application.
  2. Select zoom.us at the top of your screen and select Uninstall Zoom.
  3. Select OK to confirm uninstalling the Zoom desktop application and all of its components.
  4. Once done, kindly restart your mac.

After doing so we will need to re-install the zoom application.

1. Navigate to Zoom’s Download Center and select Download for Zoom Desktop Client.
2 .Run the downloaded installer file and follow the instructions to install.
3. Retest and observe if the pop-up message appears.

Keep me posted! 

Carla (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team

Thanks 

Javier1979
Listener

Thanks a lot @yuan-stanley . It works! 🙂 

cor315
Listener

If you're using a Windows computer, my solution was to go to the %appdata% folder and rename or delete the zoom folder.  Then open Zoom again.  It should recreate the folder and you should be good.

HenrietteGruber
Listener

Did not work for me. Any other suggestions?

Have been fighting with this for weeks. After reading this thread, I *just* used the "for Macs with Apple Silicon chips, click here to download" because how the heck do I know I have a silicon chip?? And it worked! Crossed fingers ... 

RamonCota
Listener

As an IT professional, I was trying to help my wife with her Zoom (on windows)and of course, I broke it, resulting in the error messages folks are getting here.

It's because I tried to sign her in with SSO, which she doesn't use. She always joins as a guest, and doesn't actually sign into Zoom. However, whenever she tried to click on a Zoom link, the Zoom app would try to go to the SSO URL that I initially tried.

The fix was to sign her in with a working personal account, then sign out. It stopped prompting her for an SSO sign-on.

Hope this helps other folks!

joeypeterson232
Listener

Same Is happening with my new  Laptop and I am curious that did you got any solution

We worked on diffent approaches over weeks and then this helped:

1. Open Finder and go to the Application folder.

2. Right-click on Zoom.us and click on Show Package Contents

3. Click Contents

4. Click Frameworks

5. Double-click on ZoomUninstaller then follow the prompts to uninstall the application

6. Restart the Mac (important)

7. Install Apple's Rosetta's application for M1 chip Macs following these steps https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211861 (i had to do it via Terminal, because it wasn't just natively running)

8. Install the latest version "Zoom Client for Meetings" via zoom.us/support/download

9. Then it finally worked!

So apparently i don't run a Silicon Version on my Silicon Mac? But well, at least it works.

Which Laptop you are using? I am using  Nord VPN on mine but it is working fine for me.

genpap
Listener

The uninstalling method didn't work for me. But i realised that whenever i am connected to a VPN (for remoting into my work computer) - Zoom will not work. So i disconnect the VPN and zoom will work again. This is annoying as i sometimes like to share my "work" screen with participants, but i can't use them at the same time. Any help?

I'm guessing that all traffic not just work related is being routed through your work VPN which might be causing the issue.  You should be able to change that on the client side. 

If you're using a Windows VPN search network status > change adapter options > right click the vpn connection >  properties (need admin creds) > Networking tab > IP version 4 > properties > advanced > uncheck use default gateway on remote network.

I can't guarantee it won't mess anything up on your vpn connection but you can always recheck it. 

manothing123-92
Listener

hi, I have had this same problem before and solved it by restarting my laptop, maybe it was also caused by your anti-virus, or it's your USB slot, try to check task manager on windows and for mac cause zoom uses high mem and CPU

CarlaA
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi everyone!

On behalf of the Zoom Community team, we wanted to thank you all for the helpful contributions made on this topic. Because of the insightful feedback shared here on this community post, we were able to create a new support article that outlines how to troubleshoot the Zoom error on macOS: You are unable to connect to Zoom. We encourage you to visit and review this article to help guide you in your successful use of Zoom: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/6618841634957.

Thank you!

Moderator Zoom Community Team

Carla (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team

alexjelly
Listener

Try uninstalling, then re-installing Zoom - worked for me!

kx
Listener

This issue keeps appearing and won't let me join the meeting. No one really talks about this particular error but the answers I found are still unrelated to this error 1001 'Meeting host is inactive' and all I found is just about an account.