cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLOUD recording spotlight not working?

DOMOHK
Listener

I am trying to findout why ZOOM recoding is not the same for the laptop and cloud

If I record on the cloud after making changes in the setting it will record GALLERY and SPEAKER, but NOT SPOTLIGHT

IF I record on a laptop it records, GALLERY< SPEAKER AND SPOTLIGHTED people.

is there something I am missing for the cloud? Lost a lot of great speakers today when 5 were spotlight at the same time, but only speaker and gallery view showed up in ZOOM.

20 REPLIES 20

mbartkowski
Listener

The same happened with our meetings/webinars.  And we need our American Sign Language Interpreter spotlighted but only the HOST was showing in the recording, not the spotlighted interpreter. 

I'm actively trying to figure out that issue right now.... I am an interpreter and the host of our meeting recently downloaded the recording and the two interpreters (who were pinned and spotlighted) never made it into the recording 😞

RobinNVC
Listener

This is also an issue for us. Zoom please provide feedback as to why spotlighted speakers are not showing up in the cloud recording but do show up in the local recording.

My cloud settings are shown in the image below. Is there something special we need to have enabled in order to cloud record spotlighted speakers?

Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 8.58.53 AM.png

would love to know the answer to this question @Anonymous support?

My Deaf colleagues do not have a usable recording because the spotlighted 'speakers' (the ASL interpreters) were never shown on the cloud recording .  And we all don't have the space to always store locally either =\

Please advise!

-Armondo

RobinNVC
Listener

I have heard from Zoom that spotlighted people will show up in the gallery view cloud recording.

Does not work for me. I see spotlighted people in the gallery, but also non-spotlighted people (at least of only one person is spotlighted. Gallery seems to display at least two people).

This does not work for me, either. I also see everyone when I view the Gallery recording

ajufer
Listener

I am having the same issue, exactly as described. 

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @DOMOHK to ensure that you are automatically shown on on your own screen when you are in Speaker view and are talking, you will want to enable this automatic self-spotlight feature. This can be particularly useful if you are recording locally. 

Cloud recordings will recognize and record up to 9 spotlighted participants. 

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

This reply doesn't answer the original question!

I'm having a similar problem only more so. I can't get a recording of multiple spotlighted folks either on my computer or in the cloud. Only the speaker records. I have tried a variety of things, but no luck!

I have a current Zoom app, running on Win 10 on a Lenovo laptop.

This appears to be an ongoing problem! I hope a solution will be forthcoming!

did this get resolved? im having the same issue 

HI there - this does not work. The spotlighted people were NOT recorded in our video and this was so important as an accessibility feature - our ASL speakers were spotlighted the entire time to ensure accessibility, and now they have not been recorded. You need to dor this out ASAP and provide proper documentation. It does not make sense to be turned off by default. Please reply to the question that was posed here. This is a HUGE ACCESSIBILITY ISSUE.

KPF88
Listener

I have been testing this for our upcoming conference in may 2023.  Spotlight recording to the cloud only works FOR ME if there is more than one spotlight active.  If only one speaker is spotlighted, they do not show up on on the recording.  When I have changed the spotlight to two or more, they show up and are recorded.  This is a really big problem because... IT USED TO WORK!  When we recorded our 2021 and 2022 Conferences in the Cloud, spotlighting worked like a dream and saved us hours and hours of editing.  Now it has gone back a few steps.  Can someone from  Zoom please answer these outstanding questions urgently and make sure they relate to Spotlight recording in the cloud, whether it is a single spotlight or multiple.  Thanks

did this ever get resolved? im having the same issue 

designjustice
Listener

Thank you @KPF88 - I agree with this and would like this addressed asap. We will now have to pay to have our videos re-done with ASL because of this issue and feel like this should be of huge importance to Zoom to figure out asap. @RN  please address the question here and provide us an update on when Zoom will prioritize accessibility here for its users. 

Hello, and welcome to the community, @designjustice and @KPF88! I'd like to clarify how cloud recordings work regarding spotlighted participants in the Gallery View layout.

During meetings, cloud recordings can recognize and record up to 9 participants who are spotlighted in the Gallery View.

However, there is a requirement for spotlighted participants to be recorded: 

• For meetings: at least three participants need to have their video on.
  • For webinars: at least two panelists should have their video on.

Let me explain how the spotlight and gallery view feature operates in cloud recordings. If there are three or more participants who are spotlighted and have their video turned on, their video feeds will be recorded in the cloud using the gallery view layout.

In this scenario, all other participants who are not spotlighted will not be recorded. It's crucial to note that the spotlighted participants must have their video on; otherwise, their video will not be included in the recording.

Consequently, I would not recommend using the spotlight feature for a participant who has disabled or turned off their video. For instance, let's say there is a meeting with five participants (A, B, C, D, E), and all of them have their cameras on. However, the host only spotlights three of them (A, B, C). In the gallery view recording, the videos of participants A, B, and C will be included, while the videos of participants D and E will not be recorded.

More info within the knowledge base article at https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362653-Spotlighting-participants-videos

Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

@RN There were more than 3 people with video on throughout the ENTIRE meeting - are you saying ONLY if 3 ppl are spotlighted in a meeting room of over 3ppl (50+) - that it only records if you have 3 ppl spotlighted?!? This doesn't even make any sense and should be resolved ASAP. We now have a video we cannot use because our interpreters are not in it - and that is not accessible Zoom. Can you point me to documentation, or Zoom updates on this issue?

Hi @designjustice per your re: you had your ASL speakers, which you spotlighted the entire time to ensure accessibility for your participants, there would need to be at least 3 participants (your spotlighted ASL participants) spotlighted with their video on in order to be recorded to the cloud.

5.10.3 state there is now support for Multi-Spotlight for cloud recordings, and that the recording will recognize and record up to 9 spotlighted participants in a meeting or webinar, as our Zoom customers in the thread Multi-Spotlight for Cloud Recordings discovered it does this automatically. 

Also, I did find this YT video which https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd0GMa4eYmI which is pretty informative (i'm not sure if this is a workaround need to do some more research), but according to the YT video you'd need a host/co-host to initiate a local recording first, then a cloud recording, you'll have to watch the video to visualize and further understand but it seemed to work for that Zoom user 🙂 

You could also leverage Pinning a video, which allows the host to disable active speaker view and only view up to 9 specific speakers, while other meeting participants can pin one video on their end. You can also pin videos in Zoom Rooms

If a participant is recording locally and pins a video, the pinned video will be recorded unless the participant who is recording changes their video layout. Pinning another participant's video will only affect your local view and local recordings, not the view of other participants or cloud recordings.

Just another option and comparison to Spotlighting videos, which in-comparison; puts a participant as the primary active speaker for all participants. All participants will only see the selected speakers as the active speakers. This feature is often used to spotlight a keynote speaker.

Ill still do my research to see if I can find any bugs around this.. the only thing im seeing thus far is maybe to update your Zoom client once again and confirm if the issue persists? This appears to be a known issue, if not something maybe similar to your issue, with the UI on Mac clients but it was fixed on version 5.14.5, but doesn't look like there was any release note publicly documented to better explain the resolved issue with that.

Does this help clear things up? If you don't mind sharing your cloud recording settings as well as who initiates the recording. I would also suggest suggest submitting any feedback to https://zoom.us/feed for any features that maybe missing. 

Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Im still having this problem. I had a zoom meeting today with 22 people (all with their video on). I spotlit one person and it worked in the meeting, but didnt come through in the gallery recording. This didnt use to happen, it has only started recently. 

did this ever get resolved?? im having the same issue