cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are late participants able to see chat?

GreenMountains
Listener

If someone joins a Zoom meeting late, are they only able to see the chat messages after they log on; or are they able to see the discussion prior to their arrival?  And, is there a setting that controls this?   

9 REPLIES 9

kjhartma
Community Champion | Customer

My experience has been late participants only see chat messages after their arrival to a meeting, not things sent before they logged in.  If there is a setting to change that, I haven't found it.

Bort
Community Champion | Zoom Employee
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Unfortunately, meeting and webinar participants can only see the chats that were sent while they are present. Chat messages that were sent prior to their arrival are not visible to them. 

If you would like to submit any product feedback, I encourage you to visit our Zoom Feedback form, which is the official way to share any feedback or feature requests with the Zoom team. Thanks!

This seems like such an obvious feature. I'm surprised it is not an option. Having to upload files because someone is 5 minutes late is a real pain. (BTW--uploading multiple files at once would be useful. Can't always use .zip files.)

Hey Zoom crew, can you please add this banal feature? I can write the code for you, it's really not such a stretch since the host is getting all chat messages saved. Let's do it!

I'm with you. I cannot beleive this is NOT a feature and continues to persist without it after years of asking.

Many people have been using the ZOOM Feedback Form, including myself, to share this as a feature request for years now... how many more people do they need to hear it from before they consider implementing it?

eknoy0
Listener

It is not just an issue with showing up late. My laptop crashed during a meeting. Upon logging back in the chat was gone. There were numerous links that were posted in the chat and they are lost. This has rendered the meeting entirely worthless. Since the chat was lost, I don't even know who posted the link so I can ask them for the link.

kjhartma

In a case like this, I think your best course of action might be to reach out to the meeting host to see if they had saved the chat file from the meeting, and they can send you that file.

Sure that's a solution after the fact, but does no good as the meeting continues, especially if it is a link that needs to be referenced during the meeting, which is regularly the case for me.