cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alexa Show 8 no longer supports "Alexa join my Zoom meeting" command

keydiver
Listener

Up until about 2 weeks ago, the Alexa Show 8 units would connect to a scheduled Zoom meeting by just saying "Alexa, join my Zoom Meeting". Now, Alexa responds with "try asking me to open Zoom on a device that supports Zoom". Why has support for this feature been broken? I have 3 elderly, blind, or handicapped individuals in our congregation who rely on this simple command. Typing in the meeting ID and passcode is impossible for them, so this has been a huge loss. There also seems to be some change to the ability to link Zoom to their gmail calendar. Are the new instructions detailed somewhere? All 3 of these units are registered in my name, but it now appears that I can only link them to MY gmail calendar, not theirs. If I try to link to their gmail calendar it gives me some kind of permissions error.  Is that true also?

47 REPLIES 47

Thank you Keydiver! I see the meetings are highlighted in red on the calandar now. Hope it works..

I guess Jw Stream for  circuit assemblies does not work with echo 8?

If you haven't seen it, see the substantial contribution of keydiver2 today, 8-20-23.  It's a way to simplify the joining procedure at the Echo 8-- after all prep work has been done to set it up.  A bit complicated, but it may be worth it to the user of the Echo.  

keydiver2
Listener

I must add: I also installed the "Zoom for Google Workspace" app to my Windows 10, which allows you to select a Zoom Meeting vs a Google Meets meeting when setting up the event in your calendar. I have tried so many things that I'm not sure if this was the missing piece of the puzzle or not. What I don't know, and I'm still searching is this: when you select "Zoom Meeting" instead of a Google Meet, it responds by asking for a Zoom login. Which Zoom account? The owner of the Zoom meeting, or the person who is trying to log into the meeting? I very often got an error code 404 when trying to get past that point. It was very frustrating, and not much support that I can find. Maybe someone can help????

You are over my head.  I am happy you have arrived at a process which works for you.  A bit too complicated for me-- we lost the simplicity when we lost the ability just to ask Alexa and have it done!  Too bad that without notice the feature was pulled and not replaced.  Zoom continues to get more complicated to accommodate enterprise level applications.  It was a nice ride.

willjoe2442
Participant

Ensure the Alexa app has the latest software updates. Check if the Echo Show 8 is ready for a software update. Uninstall the Alexa app. Power off the device it was installed on briefly before reinstalling the app.

Regards,

Will

Thank you Will. For me, an ignoramus, please break it down a bit.

"Ensure the Alexa app has latest software updates." Does this mean
there is an Alexa app on the Echo Show? If that is the meaning, I
was under the impression Echo Show updates are automatic-- the Show
has occasionally told me there is an update pending and I have updated
then following the instructions. Is there something else to do to
check that the Show is ready for an update-- and what to do?

"Uninstall Alexa app:"  Take it off the Echo Show or off of the iPhone I use
that has Alexa? If that means take Alexa off the Echo Show, how do I do that?
If it means take Alexa off the iPhone, I think I can do that but
wouldn't reject guidance!

"Power off the device ..." must mean, in my case, the iPhone, then
turn it back on and reinstall Alexa. After Alexa is back on iPhone,
then what next?

I greatly appreciate your substantive guidance already given.

Lucas_Brown
Listener

Ah, the symphony of technology, occasionally hitting a sour note. The harmony between Alexa Show 8 and Zoom seems to be undergoing a remix. Here's the backstage insight:

1. **Zoom Command Shift:**
- Alas, the once harmonious "Alexa, join my Zoom Meeting" serenade is experiencing a hiatus. The Alexa- Zoom integration may have faced a temporary disconnect, perhaps due to updates on either side.

2. **Calendar Conundrum:**
- The waltz with Zoom and Gmail calendars can indeed be intricate. The recent shifts in permissions might be the culprit behind the error. Ensure your congregation members' calendars are shared appropriately, and permissions are aligned.

3. **Technical Curtain Call:**
- A potential solution could involve checking for Alexa and Zoom updates, as well as perusing the official Alexa and Zoom support channels. Sometimes, a simple app update or a device restart can be the wizard's wand.

4. **Voice Profile Quandary:**
- The Gmail calendar linkage might indeed pose challenges if Alexa insists on syncing with your account only. Confirm the voice profiles linked to each device, and whether they align with the intended calendar.

As the technological overture evolves, periodic shifts in compatibility may occur. Embrace the troubleshooter's mantle, consult the user manuals, and explore the realms of community forums for the latest incantations. May your congregation's Zoom journey soon regain its harmonious cadence.

faengelm
Listener

I haven't found a way to get back to the "Join by Voice method", but here is a way using a single onscreen button

https://youtu.be/ZdzniyOnIbw?si=F9ax3n1kU3WPdYlJ

There are step-by-step instructions in the YouTube video description

https://frankseasytechcorner.substack.com/p/how-to-fix-the-2023-problem-in-joining