cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5.8.6 on Linux?

wmichaelb
Listener

Hi, I'm running Linux Mint 20.3, and have been happily running Zoom 5.12.6 until this morning. I tried to join a city/community organization meeting, and received a message that I needed version 5.8.6 to be able to join the meeting. I tried to upgrade, but found nothing for Linux available past 5.12.6. When will 5.8.6 be available for Linux? Is there another way around this problem? Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7

Bort
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hi @wmichaelb 

As noted in Zoom's Quarterly Lifecycle policy, 5.8.6 is the current global minimum version, but you do not need to upgrade to that version specifically. You just need to be on that version or higher. Upgrading to the latest (5.12.6) would fix the issue, as 5.12.6 is a higher version than 5.8.6. 

Hope that helps and please make sure to mark the solution as accepted if this information is what you needed. 

wmichaelb
Listener

Bort, thanks for responding. However, if my version is up to date, why was I denied access to the meeting with a message telling me I needed to be at 5.8 or above? Thanks in advance.

Bort

Not sure why you would still be encountering that error message even after upgrading to the latest version. I'd suggest contacting Zoom Support directly, as they would be able to more directly troubleshoot this issue with you. 

astropinolaval
Listener

Running CentOS 7, I just updated to 5.12.6 but run into the same problem as wmichaelb.  Has anybody found the fix for this problem.  5.12.6 is greater tant 5.8.6 unless I live in another world!!!

DrMo
Listener

Same problem here using Mac where update is prevented since I couldn't even login with the same error message "Your app version needs to be 5.8.6 or higher to sign in..." already submit a ticket and hopefully it can be resolved. For the moment I could only join meeting through browser with very limited functionality. 

wmichaelb
Listener

I eventually got a response from Zoom support suggesting that I uninstall and reinstall Zoom manually. I did so, and then was able to successfully open a meeting again. Apparently, there is a buffer or cache that fills up, and this is the only way to empty it. A couple of other organizations I volunteer for have moved to Google Meet, which does not have this problem.

Hi wmichaelb: That's very helpful and encouraging. I'm right on it!