cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you disable Zoom chat for a single user

denny759
Listener

As an administrator, how do you take away a user's ability to be able to chat with others and other users to be able to chat with this person? My question is not in regards to meeting chat, this is in regards to regular chat outside of meetings. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

denny759
Listener

I created a group which has the chat functionality disabled and added the user to the group. When creating the group, go to the Zoom chat tab and modify the, " Allow users to chat with others " setting to be turned off. This question can be marked as solved.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

denny759
Listener

I created a group which has the chat functionality disabled and added the user to the group. When creating the group, go to the Zoom chat tab and modify the, " Allow users to chat with others " setting to be turned off. This question can be marked as solved.

Calvo
Community Champion | Zoom Partner

Hello
I tried to disable the whole chat functionality for one user, but I can still see my old chats. Is this only working for new users that hasn´t used already the chat? Can this be done the whole company? thanks

Let's be realistic. Let's do the impossible!

This method works for any user but yes indeed, the previous chat history is retained. 

You could add everyone in your company to the "no chat group" that you've created to disable chat across the board 🙂 

Calvo

Thanks for your answer!
I created a group where I disabled the chat and added now a testuser that hasn´t had a zoom account to check if I can avoid this option to a single user before setting it to the whole company. Testuser has still chat available so I don´t know, how to disable this option!...or for me it does not work...

Calvo_0-1662962355427.png

Calvo_1-1662962417572.png

Can you please let me know, how I can disable the chat option to a single user and later for a whole company? Thank you in advance for your support
BR
Matias

Matias,

I'm not sure quite where you are based on your screenshot. Please go to: 

User management -> groups -> click on the group you created -> Zoom Chat tab -> go down to the "Security" section and find the "Allow users to chat with others" option. Make sure that option is toggled OFF. 

Bort
Community Champion | Zoom Employee
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

That's exactly what he did. Screenshots are in German, but that is the correct location and setting. 

I'm not sure what else to do - these are the steps I followed and its working for us. It looks like he has the user assigned to the group too. 

Calvo

Hello and thank you for your answers!

Sorry for the screenshot in german. In fact I think this should be the option to delete/dactivate the chat for Zoom User but unfortunately it does not work. If someone can check if this behavior also not working it would be great.
I now opened an case on Zoom support hoping to get a solution asap.
Here the screenshots in english:)

IJO16zATJK.png

Calvo

I got this information from the Zoom Support Team:

Here is the missing step that needs to be done so the chat can be disabled at the group level:
 -------------
Under User Management ->Contacts tab, the List all account users under “all contacts” option controls whether account level or group level setting applies. When it is enabled, the account level setting is used, otherwise, the group setting is used.
So, if you want to use group level setting, please turn off the following option:

Calvo_0-1663653485286.png

However, I can see that even as an Admin, you don't have the rights to access the 'Contacts' menu and change the settings. You would need to ask your account owner to change this setting, or to provide you the rights for the 'Contacts' menu, from the Role settings.

----------------
But when I disable this option no one of our company can see their contacts... I did not have time to do further tests.
Once tested will let you know if this is working properly.

MaCa
Listener

Hi

I don't know if there was a change in the WebPortal but now is working.

As described from community user denny759

"User management -> groups -> click on the group you created -> Zoom Chat tab -> go down to the "Security" section and find the "Allow users to chat with others" option. Make sure that option is toggled OFF. "

With this settings the user can still type in a message on the chat field but when he tries to send zoom will show an information "message could not be sent" -> I would prefer to show a message like "adminstrator has disable the chat" so the user know why this is not working. Otherwise this message maybe will create some incidents.

cheers

Matias