cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropped Connection

NCDulcimergal
Listener

I keep getting dropped from the Zoom meeting that I am running. My internet service is adequate, I've checked it with my provider and had several conversations with their technicians. During the time I was dropped from Zoom my internet provider showed no interruption in service from their end. Why is this happening? I only recently upgraded my service and it is horrible. If I uninstall zoom and re-install the program, as suggested by someone from Zoom, how easy is it to reinstall? 

6 REPLIES 6

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer

Hey, @NCDulcimergal –

It’s frustrating, because there are so many variables. Let’s start with a couple of small things. 

What type of account do you have: Basic, Pro, Business, or Enterprise?  Could also be Government or Education. 

Is this happening only on meetings you schedule/host, or also on meetings where you are just an attendee participant?

What type of device and operating system are you using: Windows PC or laptop; Mac; Android or iOS phone or tablet?

Is your device connected to your network with Wi-Fi, or a hardwired connection?

With more info, we might be able to help a bit more. 

Uninstalling and reinstalling isn’t difficult for most folks. Its just like any other program, really. Unfortunately a lot of help desk people start there (not just Zoom), and while it does fix many issues, my experience is that “meetings dropped after being on them a while” isn’t likely an installation issue. 

You should make sure your Zoom software is up to date, though. Please make sure you’re on version 5.10.something. 

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

I have same issue.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled.  I am on the meeting as host and then it drops and comes back, but now it doesn't unless I reboot my laptop.  It seems like it times out or stops after some time.  I am hardwired in.  I don't have VPN and Firewall setting is clicked to allow Zoom App.   And my TCP is set to "any".  

I have a feeling something got reconfigured after an update from Zoom or on the computer, but I can't figure it out.

Ray_Harwood

@RitaGardner, I'll ask a few more questions here, but it's so hard to nail down why this is happening, so hang in here with me if it keep happening.

Does this happen only on meetings you are hosting?  Can you attend meetings without being dropped?

Mac or Windows... or Linux, iOS, or Android? What version? (On Mac/Windows, in the Zoom Client go to Settings -> Statistics tab, at the bottom)

Ray_Harwood_0-1659706509182.png

Can you think of any action you're commonly taking just before being dropped?  For example, right after you start a screen share, or right after another participant starts a screen share, or right after ... something!

Are you using virtual backgrounds, filters, or avatars in Zoom, or other software (OBS for example) to modify your camera/video? I've seen on occasion where over-taxing the graphics capability of the machine causes Zoom to freeze up/crash.

Are you in a corporate office environment where multiple people are logging into the same meeting?  I have seen where many people in the same office all logged into the same meeting cause bandwidth issues, especially when someone starts screen sharing from a 4K monitor (a separate 4K stream is initiated with every attendee!).

Lastly... are there instances where you don't lose connection?  If so, any idea what might be different about those sessions?

RitaGardner
Listener

I only ever host.  I have Windows 11.  I am at home.  I noted that my "statistics" in settings in Zoom indicate that my overall memory is 5.36 and Memory size is only 7.77.  I think my laptop (HP) is kicking me off of internet for some reason.  I have another computer running the same meeting for backup and that doesn't waiver when the other one drops.  It is indicating lost internet connection then out and then comes back in a few.  The computer that is dropping the zoom is dedicated only for zoom.  I don't have other programs running on it except what was installed and I think I removed some of them  

Yes, I am on 5.11.4.(7185)

Ray_Harwood

Well, one more question: Do your other computers run Windows 11, or still on Windows 10?

I hate to say it this way... but looks like its either a limitation of your laptop configuration, or possibly something in Windows 11. 

You might look at this Zoom Support article about RAM requirements and some other limitations.  While it looks like you probably meet the bare minimum requirements, it does sound like your laptop is struggling to keep up!

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362023-Zoom-system-requirements-Windows-macOS-Linux

You might also consider investigating running the Zoom Web client - not using the Zoom desktop client.  Can't say that will be much better (if any), but worth a shot.

RitaGardner
Listener

I believe you are correct.  Both my computers are updated to Windows 11.  And since I purchased a second computer for Zoom only, it looks like two years ago 8 GB would have been enough, but it is obviously not.  I have read the article you attached and it appears that I do fit the criteria necessary but at the very minimum.  So I agree with you there.  It looks like I will be adding more RAM to that computer and let's hope that resolves any issues.  I thank you for you very easy to understand assistance.