cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloading files from chat

Angela5
Listener

My co-workers and I frequently send files through Zoom chats. How do I change the location where those files are saved on my desktop when I download them? I'm using a Mac. Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12

BrentG-ZP
Community Champion | Zoom Employee
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Zoom uses the mac's default download folder > https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/change-safari-download-save-location-mac/

Update that folder and anything you download should go in that folder.

Hi,

Thank you for the tip but that did not work for me.

That tip didn't work for me either.

Has this been resolved? I would also like to change the default location.

As others have commented, this advice doesn't work.

And, contrary to the information given, there isn't really a default macOS download folder. Apps (Mail, Safari, etc.) have their own default download folders, which can be set within each app's settings. The instructions @BrentG-ZP has linked to are instructions to change the default download folder for Safari. It would be surprising if that setting were picked up and acted on by the Zoom app.

It would be be helpful to know whether whether Zoom's default download folder path can be set.

I use Linux Mint 21.1. I installed the latest Zoom version Version 5.14.5 (2430) .
I have a Zoom Pro Account.
I can not download any files offered in chat. When clicking on the download link nothing happens.
Clicking on web links in chat now works with this version and opens the link in the standard web browser.
But Downloading files offered in a chat would be more important for me.
Any other users on Linux seem to have the same problem.
Can you organize a fix for this?
Thanks and best regards

Jota_Eme
Listener

Hello.

I am using Zoom for Linux (MX Linux 21.3), and the files don't even get downloaded.

Doesn't Zoom support downloading files in Linux? (even if we are not in the '90s anymore) 😉

Thanks in advance.

Same with me.
Zoom 5.13.11 for Linux.

Impossible to download files placed in chat.
Please do solve this issue.

Zoom 5.15.2 for Linux. Same problem. Unable to download anything

ElizaBeth19
Listener

Hi,

Thank you for the tip but that did not work for me. Click here

Frank_TB
Community Champion | Customer

Hello,

1. At the bottom of the chat window, click the ellipses, then click Save Chat.
    This will save your chat to your local recording location. The default is your Documents folder / Zoom / Folder with meeting name, date, and time.

Note: Under the (enabled) Chat setting, if the Allow users to save chats from the meetingcheck box is deselected, this prevents all meeting participants, including the host, from saving the chat transcript. 

Change the default save location

1. Sign in to the Zoom desktop client.
  2. Click your profile picture, then click Settings
  3. Click Recording.
  4. Under Local Recording, click Change and select a new file location.

Note: This will change where your local recordings save as well.

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/115004792763-Saving-in-meeting-chat 

Regards

If my reply helped, don't forget to click the accept as solution button!

Thank you Frank_TB.

Even though the original chat involved downloading files sent through chat, rather than downloading recordings of Zoom meetings, this setting seems to be working for the downloads as well.

Frank_TB

Yes, they both save to the same location.

Regards

If my reply helped, don't forget to click the accept as solution button!